none
Custom Field Text Not Showing Up in Task Viewer? RRS feed

• Question

• Having a bit of a problem -

We have several custom fields which are used for grouping purposes, but I cannot get the text in these fields to populate in the task view in PWA (My Work -> My Tasks).  As an example, lets say I have a custom text column called "Manufacturing Unit".  It's a global field, and it shows up just fine in both MSP client and the project view in PWA, and makes sorting by manufacturing unit very easy.  Any changes I make in either the client or the PWA are correctly captured and reflected appropriately.  Now, if I add the column to the view in My Tasks, the column itself appears, but no data is in it.  If I add the text manually and submit/approve changes to the task, the text remains, but does not propagate to the appropriate location in the plan.  It's as if the custom column in the task view is completely disconnected from the very same custom column in the plan itself.  Any ideas? 

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• This should be a simple fix. The Task custom field is normally shown at just the Task level, whereas the My Tasks page actually shows you assignments. So, in your custom field setup, turn on Roll down to Assignment level, republish and it should appear. In your My Tasks view, mark the field as read only. Otherwise, the user can edit the Assignment value. Note, the edits will not roll up to the Task level.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog | Learn Resource Management

Friday, July 10, 2015 5:48 PM
  • Thanks Treb, that did the trick.  We'd be dead in the water on this one without that, as major portions of the project itself are basically thousands of rows of data with 14 custom fields for grouping and the same name for most tasks.  Not an orthodox implementation, but it looks like we'll be able to make it work now. 
    Friday, July 10, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Hi Treb

How about if its the other way around? For example, I have created a custom field called Revised End Date in Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables, the data type is Date. Now I have added this to both Project Schedule view as well as My Assignment view. I want it to be editable in My Assignment view and once the change is approved I want it to reflect in Project Schedule as read only field. How does this happen I tried your above mentioned solution but it didn't work the for the other way around. 

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:13 AM