none
BitLocker asks for recovery on every boot RRS feed

• Question

• Dell inspiron 7000 (7570)

windows home

so i reset my bios to bios defaults and now it asks for bitlocker recovery every time i boot it

i have never bitlocked it , it came bitlocked from factory(there were always 'unlocked lock icons' on top of the drives)

i don't know how it is possible

i do have the recovery keys on my account (i don't know how ... but they work)

What i have tried...

CMD (elevated)    manage-bde -off C:

for which it said that i need to disable external keys first ... gave me command for it... which i executed

then again i performed the above command

upon this the bitlocker icon dissappears from the drive icons in the file manager

However it still asks for bitlocker recovery on every boot

Also once booted i have to unlock the secondary drive again

Also there is nothing in device encryption in Control Panel ... it is a blank page and the settings app has no device encryption option either

Also the drive status says "fully decrypted", "unlocked", "protection off" and yet at every boot i have to enter the bitlocker recovery

Also there is no TPM on my laptop.

I have no knowledge of bitlocker ... please help me ... i don't know what to do

• Edited by Two_Hands Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:39 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

"i do have the recovery keys on my account"

What account are you using? If you are using Microsoft account as Windows login account, we could check the Microsoft account center to see if you saved bitlocker recover key 

However you can't find the recovery key, we can't login Windows any more unless clean install the computer.

If you could login Windows with your saved recovery key, we could remove bitlocker through Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\BitLocker Drive Encryption\Turn off Bitlocker.

Bye the way, even if there is not TPM module on device, it is also available to turn on bitlocker to protect computer.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:02 AM