Word Attachement open as read only RRS feed

• Question

• We recently roll out Office 2013 to the entire company. We had a few test site testing Office 2013 prior to the roll out.

A few users have encountered an issues when they open a Word Attachment from Outlook 2013. When they open the Word attachment, it opens as Read-Only and it is not editable until they click on View - Edit Document.

I tested the same document on a PC that still has Office 2010 and there are no issues. The attachment opens as Read-only and they can edit the files as soon as they open up the document.

There is a promising solution under the options menu for Word 2013 (Open e-mail-attachments and...), but I don't know how I would push this out to the entire company. I have uncheck the option in Word and tested this on my PC. It mimics the same behavior as 2010. It will open as read only and I'm able to edit without going to view-edit documents.

Is there an option in the office customization toolkit that "fixes" how word opens an email attachment or is there another solution that an end user can easily fix without IT getting involved?

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the issue only happen to Word documents? How about other Office attachments such Excel file or PowerPoint files? Can you edit them when opening from Outlook attachment?

What's your detailed Word 2013 version? Click File > Account > About Word to collect the detailed version number. Please make sure you have updated your Office 2013 to the latest version. You can refer to the following article for the Office latest updates:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-Updates-a118ec61-f007-492f-bfa5-5a6f764d5471

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates on the issue? If you need any further help, feel free to post back for more discussion.

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:45 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply, I'm not getting any notification when someone replies.

Only Word Documents and I can recreated this issue on any PC with Office 2013. Excel and powerpoint is fine. Word 2013 v15.0.4989.1000.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:01 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply, I'm not getting any notification when someone replies.

Only Word Documents and I can recreated this issue on any PC with Office 2013. Excel and powerpoint is fine. Word 2013 v15.0.4989.1000.

Please try the following settings:

In Word 2013, go to File > Options, in General page, unselect the setting "Open e-mail attachments and other uneditable files in reading view".

Go to File-> Options-> Trust Center-> Trust Center Settings…-> Protected View-> deselect option: Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 12:26 PM