Problems installing Local USB HP Printers on XP Service Pack 3 workstations RRS feed

• Question

• I keep having issues installing HP local USB printers on our XP Service Pack workstations. Most of the time the problems revolve around HP LJ 4250. They will intall  as a USB printer using ieee1284.4. At times though I try several different HP drivers they just won't print at all. I have had to re-image the OS at times to get them to work. I really have a problem when I want to upgrade from a local USB HP 4250 to the newer HP 600 M602n printers. When I go to change the printer it wants to keep using the original Vitrual USB DOT 4_xxx port which in some cases will say (HP 4250). I install the new HP 600 drivers and it is using the existing port and won't print.

I would really like to know how to completely clean the existing OS of drivers as well as the existing USB printer ports. I've tried Googling a lot to tech sites and have even used a spooler cleaning tool from a MS Resource kit. So far I've had to completely re-image the OS which I am trying to avoid.

I would appreciate it if anyone has had similar problems or can direct me to the proper installation procedure for HP printers. Including, if possible, a means to safely clean the existing drivers and printer ports before installing a newer model.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:34 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I believe that I have tried this but maybe not the correct sequence. So you delete the printer object first, reboot, and then follow the steps in the link? I'm also trying to see if there is a way to delete the old USB printer port. Even though I'm an administrator I still get "Selected port cannot be deleted. The request in not supported." In any event, I will try this in the future...thanks

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:04 PM