Generate Thumbnails for Imgaes added to a Picture Library Programmatically RRS feed

• Question

• We are migrating from a SharePoint 2013 environment to another SharePoint 2013 environment. We have a Picture library in the source site. We migrated the images programmatically. As a result, the thumbnail images were not created for the images in the target library.

I can move the thumbnail images from the source library (/_t folder) to the _t folder in the destination library but this doesn't display the thumbnails as the "EncodedAbsThumbnailUrl" property of the target image is not updated. I cannot update the "EncodedAbsThumbnailUrl" property as it is read-only. Is there a way to programmatically create thumbnails for images in a SharePoint Picture library or update the "EncodedAbsThumbnailUrl" property after moving the thumbnails?

• Edited by shankze Friday, January 29, 2016 12:20 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 12:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi shankze,

According to your description, when you migrate images from source library to target library, the thumbnail images were not created for the images in the target library.

Per my research, for a single picture, you can generate thumbnail image with adding _t and _jpg in the URL:

http://sharepoint.rackspace.com/how-to-create-and-use-image-thumbnails-in-sharepoint-2013

If you have a large number of pictures, you can add images to picture library with thumbnails using CAML:

http://spuser.blogspot.jp/2011/03/how-to-add-images-to-picture-library.html

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 29, 2016 11:59 AM
  • Thanks, the first link helped. I will have to somehow move the contents of the _t and _w folder from the source library to destination library. After copying, I can update the AlternateThumbnailUrl, ThumbnailExists and PreviewExists properties of the original item
    Friday, January 29, 2016 5:13 PM