MDT 2013 and WinRE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am new to MDT 2013 and self taught over the last few weeks.

I am trying to install a custom Win10 image. I have this working, my problem is the recovery. At the moment I install Win10 through MDT 2013 onto the C: drive. MDT also sets up a hidden RECOVERY drive and copies over WinRE files. I activate windows, install office and activate. I will then SYSPREP the pc to OOBE and shutdown for the customer.

I then boot to WinPE and use DISM to capture for a recovery image. I put the captured WIM file on the recovery drive and power off.

When I tried to use the recovery WIM file, it does not use this WIM file but the original install files that I used to deploy the original image. All my customisation is lost.

Basically what I want to do is:

1. Deploy a standard image

2. Customize the image with Office and other software including activation

3. Sysprep to OOBE and shutdown

4. Capture the custom image and place on recovery drive

5. Be able to deploy the custom image as a recovery image either through SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY (if pc is not booting) or from RESET PC in windows.

Any help would be great.

Jay

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:42 AM

All replies

• While preparing system to capture, we have to consider these steps:

• Always build your capture systems on VMs. Capturing an image from hardware will result
    in driver injection failure on several new models coming out now. When building a
    universal image for deployment, you absolutely do not want any hardware-specific
    configurations in your image. Also avoid installing VM-specific applications. Building your
    image from a VM also allows you to use snapshots/state restores, which are very useful
    to run right before you begin the capture process.
    • Check for Windows Update until you will get all the latest updates in your system.
    • Need to ensure that the app store does not get automatically updated.
    • Apply Local GPO
    Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Store
    Enable -Turn off Automatic Download and Install of updates policy
    • Don’t include drivers in captured Image.

Please Follow The Below Steps For Capturing Device 

Use SYSPREP to prepare the system for capture Run C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe and select the generalize and shutdown options. 

Note: When you run sysprep, the operation may fail with the fatal error, To resolve this issue, remove the appx package for the user.
    Review the log file at %WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther\setupact.log for more details.
    You will get package information from log file.

Create bootable WinPE media,

Insert the newly created PE media,Boot the system from WinPE Media only.

Turn on the system. The system should boot to the Command prompt for PE, identified as X:\

Prepare the media location to which the image will be captured. Use Network Location to copy the .wim image  

Note: Assigning of drive letters to partitions is handled by WinPE when it first boots up.it normally assigns the System Reserved partition a drive letter C: and the OS partition a drive letter D:
       Run the capture command 

Dism /Capture-Image /Compress:maximum /ImageFile:<NetworkSharedPath>\FileName.wim /CaptureDir:D:\ /Name:"FileName"

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:06 AM
  • If you are going to use MDT it's best to use MDT for all of it. MDT works really well when you create 2 deployment shares. Both can exist on the same "server". One is made purely for the creation of images. The other share is your production share, the one you use to deploy you images to end clients.

In your "admin" share you can automate most of it so that it's setup to build and capture an image using a single task sequence. In your task sequence, it's good to add a suspend task before the "imaging" section of the task sequence. That allows you the opportunity to shutdown the VM and make a checkpoint. Also while it is suspended, you have the chance to make manual alterations if you don't have ways to automate what you wanted to add or change. Once you continue the task sequence it will capture the image. You can then import that custom WIM into your production share and create a task sequence to deploy that to clients.

The above is an overview, you need to use specific settings to do that, but it's all very easy to do.

But, it sounds like you want to do an OEM preload style of imaging http://laurierhodes.info/?q=node/67
    I've never done that myself nor will I because it just wouldn't work since we encrypt all our machines and they use TPM and various other reasons. It would also be much faster for us to re-image with an updated image and in our case it would be best for the IT department to care for those types of needs. 

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:46 PM