Solution to Nvidia's 8800 GPU nvlddmkm losing connection and reconnecting RRS feed

• Question

• Various websites and a potential class action law suit talk about the problem of using the 8800 Series GPU with Vista. When running DreamScene, DirectX 10.0 demos, and video DVD's, a message pops up after a couple of seconds of a blank screen saying that Nvlddmkm.dll or Nvlddmkm.sys has lost connectivity and has been restored. In most cases the computer has to be rebooted to permanently stop the error once it has occurred even AFTER the offending program (such as DreamScene) has been stopped. In some cases, there is a BSOD pointing to Nvlddmkm.sys or some other error message, which requires a hard boot.

Many solutions, including driver updates, elimination of older versions of the drivers, BIOS changes, and removal of Creative X-Fi drivers have been suggested in hundreds of blogs. None of them work in isolation for long. The most promising solution, the elimination of older Nvidia drivers lurking around in Vista has been acknowledged by Nvidia and they have introduced a new installation program/driver in their 158.15 release of April 12. This did not work to completely alleviate the problem.

Well, for me, I have fixed the problem; I simply installed 158.15 which slowed down the recurrence of the problem but definitely did not alleviate it, and then later, as part of my two month quest to solve this problem, as an experiment, turned off UAC. Everything has been running fine for 2 days including DreamScene, which is a record; DreamScene had not run for more than 5 minutes prior to this last step. I had never before been able to run the DirectX 10.0 demos that are downloadable from http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_cascades_downloads.html which is now astounding me with its beauty and stability. I urge you to test this (less than perfect) solution or to get Nvidia to test it. I have “replied” to many of the blogs that I found about this subject and offered this solution; one person has responded telling me that it had fixed his problem too and one person had always had UAC turned off and AFTERWARDS installed the new drivers and nothing changed for him. It certainly would be beneficial, if this is "the" solution, to get the word to Microsoft and to Nvidia. Though I have gone on those websites to report my finding, I am not sure that it will be seen by enough people to give Microsoft and Nvidia an incentive to test.  We al;so need some active participants to these blogs to carefully track down differences in setup that may affect this SERIOUS problem.

My setup is as follows:

* Hardware and software firewall, antispyware, and antivirus software
    * Asus Striker Extreme
    * PNY 8800 GTX -- Driver version 7.15.11.5818 (158.15) - resolution of 2560x1600 on 30" monitor
    * 2 GB Corsair Dominator memory
    * Intel Quad Extreme
    * OC the CPU to 3.00 MHz
    * Two Raptor RAID 0 logical and physical drives
    * External RAID 5 backup utilizing a Silicon Image 3124 SoftRaid 5 Controller
    * Creative X-Fi gamer
    * PC Power & Cooling 1000 KVA PSU
    * Vista x86 RTM

I really hope to help people as a consequence of this posting.

Friday, April 27, 2007 8:25 PM

All replies

• Thanks for posting!

However, I haven't got this big issue with my Club 3D Nvidia 8800 GTS card. However, I did sometimes have a 0,1 second black screen whith Dreamscene and other Video heavy apps if I use them on the same time.

The problem is that UAP uses Secure Desktop. It's a very technical solution to prevent hackers accesing your computer register and UAP. For easy words... It's makes almost everything blacker when you see the approval dialog.

This blacker requires alot of power and stability from your driver. This is not smart, but you can turn it off

First off all, do not ever turn off UAP for any reason!!!!

But, do this. Give the start orb a right click, and press advanced.

Press on "Edit start menu" (or something that sounds like it)

Scroll down, and let  the system management show. (or something)

After that, close it, and open up Local Security policy.

On the left three, select Local policy, and on security options.

Scroll down to the part where it asks about "User account control: Use secure desktop...."

Double click it, and disable it.

This will probably do the same like told above, but keeps you more secure!

Friday, May 11, 2007 12:13 PM
  • I have a many weeks to experience this and have had many people responding to me from other websites.  You are right, turning off UAC is not a great idea.  However, once I got rid of the different versions from different directories and it ran stable, then I turned UAC back on and everything is still OK.  Here is the problem that users face:

Nvidia claims that its new installation routine removes all older versions of the driver.  In point of fact it does not reliably do so as evidenced by others who have corresponded with me.  After the newest driver is installed, if a search on non-indexed files is done for nvlddmkm, there will still appear different versions and it is tricky to eliminate the older ones due to rights and privileges management.  Once you take the time to remove the older ones, and reinstall the driver, it will work with UAC turned on.  However, it still requires that you turn off UAC while you are doing this process the first time.  Then when it works you can turn it back on.  Subsequent driver updates seem to work fine with the Nvidia drivers and UAC on because the connection problem was solved in 158.14.

I do appreciate your response, however, and I learned something.  I had not known about secure desktop.  I cannot tell you if doing that will be successful for removing the disconnect problem, but ending UAC is OK for the short time that you need it to be off.

With regard to stable power, my PC Power & Cooling 1000KVA PSU is as stable and as powerful as they come, so it is not the source of the problem.  I can run DreamScene in the background while running a video or the sample DirectX 10 demos and I never have any blank time.  In your case, I would do the search for nvlddmkm and see if you have more than one version stored on your system.  If you do, get rid of them, load the very latest drivers from Nvidia (including the wonderful Beta version 158.24) and I am reasonably sure that your blank time will dissapear  (unless, of course, you do not have a good power source). The older drivers are the source of the problems and Vista's peculiar way of storing older versions.

I would love to hear back from you on your results.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for responding!

However, I don't have alot of issues since, and since I turned Secure Desktop off the system seems to have no problems. It's more like a scenario that happends a very few times, but isn't really a big problem.

However, this Windows, and my pc, is brand new, just installed with the Nvidia drivers from Windows Update, and I want to leave it like it is, because it does run now, with just a minor issue, so why should I move?

The problem is, that on my old pc, it went broke after installing a beta driver of Nvidia. It was coincidence, but everything seemed related to hardware issues... After some big technical research it is probably the RAM that was giving issues, but it still gives a scary feeling touching something Nvidia related. So I don't want to take risks anymore or install Beta drivers,,, and will wait another half year to install new drivers.

Thanks anyway!

Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:11 PM
  • I've had this machine since mid-march, and this problem just started for me a couple weeks ago.  The customer service at ABS pointed me to this thread.  I've read what you're saying, but am <technically challenged> Smile  Was wondering if someone could clarify some things for me.

1) I can't seem to acces UAC.  Rightclicking the Start orb gives me nothing like an "edit" option.  Window's help told me to run secpol.msc, but when i try to run it, says it can't find it.  How does a person with the 32-bit Vista access UAC?

2) Without playing with the Uac, I went searched and deleted all old versions of nvlddmkm.  I then reinstalled with the latest drivers.  I am still having problems.  Are there other old files I need to delete as well?  Can you list them, or at least where I need to dig to find them?

I appreciate any help you can give me on this.  This display driver is crippling my computer at times, and as it's mostly a gaming machine, it's very frustrating.  Thanks

Ponza

Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:07 AM
  • This will walk you through turning off UAC.

http://kb.globalscape.com/article.aspx?id=10310

Sunday, July 1, 2007 12:52 AM
  • FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY.  ALL OF YOU WHO POSTED THIS TO BE A FIX WILL BE POSTING AGAIN SAYING THIS IS NOT A FIX. 

I HAVE HAD UAC OFF FROM THE GET GO.  I HAVE NVIDIA  158.25 AND 158.45 AND HAVE TESTED THEM EVERY WHICH WAY POSSIBLE.

MY MOBO IS 680i WHICH SEEMS TO BE INFAMOUS FOR THIS PROBLEM WITH A BFG 8800GTXOC FROM FACTORY AND THE RAM IS OCZ 1066.  AS SOON AS I UNLINK AND DOWNCLOCK THE RAM FROM 1066 TO 800 IT'S STABLE.  ONCE IT'S CLOCKED TO 1066 SCREEN CRASH REPEATEDLY.  NOT ONLY DO I GET THE NVLDDMKM ERROR BUT I ALSO GET A USBPERF ERROR IN THE EVENT VIEWER.

THIS HAS BEEN ONGOING FOR MORE THEN 6 MONTHS FOR MOST AND THESE IDIOT MANUFACTURERS PLAY DUMB THINKING EVERYONE ISN'T SMART ENOUGH TO NOTICE WHAT IS GOING ON.

THERE ISN'T A STABLE FIX AND WON'T BE.  I HAVE A SOURCE WITH MICROSOFT SAYING EVERYONE IS BRACING THEMSELVES FOR A MAJOR RECALL.  POSSIBLY THE BIGGEST IN COMPUTER HISTORY WITH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT ON DIRECTX10 TECHNOLOGY.  I'M SORRY BUT 15FPS IN THE CALL OF JUAREZ DEMO ISN'T GOING TO CUT IT WITH ME, HEADS ARE GOING TO ROLL.

TIME TO TAKE THIS TO THE COURTS

EMAIL, JONATHAN CARCOPO AT JCARCOPO@GMAIL.COM

COPY PASTED FROM NZONE FORUMS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I FOUND THE ARTICLE BELOW VERY INTERESTING! DOES ANYONE LIVE IN THE BAY AREA NEAR SANTA CLARA, CA WANT TO FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST NVIDIA, ET AL?? ANYONE WANT TO PROTEST IN FRONT OF NVIDIA'S HEADQUARTERS OFF OF SAN TOMAS IN SANTA CLARA. I LIVE IN ALVISO TRANPLANTED FROM NC 8 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER FELT SO OUTRAGED TO PROTEST ANYTHING (UNLIKE THE PEOPLE WHO PROTEST EVERYTHING IN THIS CRAZY STATE), BUT I AM READY ABLE AND WILLING TO BECOME VERY VOCAL AND LITIGIOUS RIGHT ABOUT NOW.

INTERESTED? EMAIL ME, JONATHAN CARCOPO AT JCARCOPO@GMAIL.COM

Nvidia Hit With New Class Action Threat Over Windows Vista Glitches
    A New Yorker is seeking support for a class action suit against the video card manufacturer because he says drivers for the company's high-end 8800 card have caused him problems.

By Paul McDougall
    InformationWeek
    Apr 24, 2007 10:00 AM
    A new Web site seeking support for a class action suit against video card manufacturer Nvidia has appeared on the Internet.
    A message on the site -- NvidiaClassAction.info -- asks consumers who purchased the high-end Nvidia 8800 card with the intention of installing it on Windows Vista-equipped PCs to join the proposed lawsuit.

"Nvidia said the 8800 was built for Windows Vista ... it is anything but," said Dan Goldman, the site's founder, in an interview Tuesday.

Goldman, a New York City-based investor and IT consultant, said he purchased a version of the $700 card sold by Asus International before Windows Vista was released for sale to the public at the end of January. After upgrading his computer to the new Microsoft operating system in February, and installing Nvidia drivers that were supposedly Vista compatible, "all hell broke loose," Goldman said.

Goldman's PC screen started to blank out intermittently and constantly flash an inscrutable error message that read: "Video driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered."

Goldman claimed Nvidia's drivers for Windows Vista caused the problem and that the company ignored his requests for help. Now, he wants payback. "I'm entitled to damages I incurred as a result of Nvidia's misleading marketing campaign, and so are a lot of other people," he said.

Goldman, who said he spent about 100 hours unsuccessfully trying to fix the problem on this own, is in talks with three law firms in preparation for a class action suit.

Nvidia officials were not immediately available for comment.

In a posting on the company's support forum, however, Nvidia in a statement concedes there is a problem with its Windows Vista drivers. "We understand that many users have expressed frustration with this issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience," said the statement, in part.

The statement blames the trouble on a Windows Vista feature called Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR). The feature is designed to detect and fix system problems without forcing users to reboot their computers. Nvidia said it plans to release new drivers "which will dramatically reduce the number of TDR errors," the company said in its statement.

In February, a Web site registered to an address in Nova Scotia, Canada, appeared on the Internet that also threatened Nvidia with a class action suit over Windows Vista incompatibilities. That site, Nvidiaclassaction.org, now appears to be defunct.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 11:12 AM
  •  

Nvidia is definately preventing this issue from getting to the masses I am convinced now.  Since there being talk of a class action lawsuit and links being thrown up about it I have been banned by Nzone.  I'm sure everyone else in the threads have been banned to prevent a solution.

I did get an email from BFG

Matthew Peterson,

In post #1410 on the thread you linked us, here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381&st=1400&p=216535&

a user points out that his ATI card was having the exact same issue, as his 8800 on the same system, which tends to point away from it being a pure video card driver issue. 

Honestly, since, when you remove the OC on your RAM, the problem goes away, we really can't consider this a video card side issue.

Thank you,

James E

BFG Support

I'm sure this thread will be gone soon too when people start flaming M$

NvidiaClassAction.info

Sunday, July 1, 2007 6:21 PM
  • i wish i had read all this before ibough my new machine;

qx6700 extreme

4gb ram

Vista 32bit

8800gtx!!!!

had the machine for 5 days and had 5 days of hell. tried turning off uac upgraded to 158.45 beta from nvidia and still i cant get into windows error screen says windows had to abort because the graphic card encountered an error.

If your thinking of buying a 8800 series dont wait for nvidia to sort the compatability with vista out or just use XP.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Guys....it's not JUST the 8800 card either. This is pissing me off with my 8600 GTS cards in SLi mode. This is rediculous. I've tried nearly every recommended fix on the net for this to no avail. "Eff" you nVidia!...
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:24 PM
  • It's a driver problem, so it's going to effect the entire Nvidia 8k series at the very least.  Problem tends to trigger most on Vista and with the Nforce motherboards, but it's definitely a driver & software issue--despite what all the morons on nvidia, nvnews forums are saying. 

It should be obvious with so many thousands of different configurations having this problem and having only one thing in common: Nvidia video cards & Drivers.  Yet, they try rma'ing their motherboards, upgrading power supplies, running 1 stick of memory, underclocking their systems without even considering what's right in front of them.

They're also the reason why this problem wasn't addressed sooner.  Not enough people are complaining to Nvidia...INSTEAD, they blame every other piece of equipment in their pc.  What's even more annoying is those people will say they've found a fix like they're some fricking genious, even though everybody in the known universe has probably tried the same thing. 

Anyone else buy the geforce 8800s over the ATI 2900xts because they thought that Nvidia's drivers were going to be better?  I know I did.  They need to take this problem more seriously.  It shouldn't take 7+ months to make something at least useable. 

Saturday, July 28, 2007 3:55 AM
  • First of all.  both ATI and Nvidia are having a xxxxxxxxxxx.sys stopped responding error,"

Secondly, both Vista and Xp are experiencing it.

Thirdly, it's both hardware AND software.

Forthly it's happening on Intel board, ASUS boards and others.

Turning off overclocking might fix it for a few hours.  Turning fans up to 100% helps a little.  Turning off SLI might help for a little while.

The problem involves ALL the main companies involved and also heavy duty software application companies.

I'm hoping Microsoft will helps them all get it together as soon as possible.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 5:53 AM
  • All of these fixes, updates, and drivers have not resolved the issue. Nvidia banning people from the forums who clearly have a legitimate beef is just shameful. Vista seems to be the real culprit here. When I loaded XP, I experienced no errors. In Vista, I cannot rate my system without the driver crashing and recovering. Being that this issue occurs with ATI and Nvidia, it points to Vista and the drivers for this card.

On my Dell 360 Workstation I have Vista Ultimate and an Nvidia 6800GT thats works rock solid. So something with Vista and the newer graphic cards are screwy...

Here is my post from the Nzone:

Reference to the new updates just released from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979

Guys I tried these updates in 32 and 64 bit. The problem still exists, and I have tried all solutions from:

1. Underclocking system
    2. Using all versions of drivers, 158, 162, to 163 beta.
    3. Formatting system, load 32 bit. Format system try 64 bit.
    4. Reseating the card.
    5. Adjusting the tdr keys in the regristry. This did give some result, as to how to control when you see the timeout, but no resolve of problem.
    6. Changing the memory

At this point, I am getting back on the horn to Dell. I am getting a return on the video card. Then I will try a fresh install of 64 bit, with the latest signed drivers. After that, I will go back to XP, if nothing works. This sucks, all these updates of drivers from Nvidia and updates from Microsoft are not addressing the issue. I sent in the log to Nvidia tech support and have not heard anything. This was about 10 days ago. They ask for contact info, and ect, etc. but will not respond. This is just terrible the way consumers are treated, I am a tech and MCP and must say this is the most frustrating issue I have come across as of yet. Microsoft and Nvidia, what is the deal with this fiasco.....

I have seen the articles about a class action lawsuit against Nvidia and a possible picket of Nvidia. There are so many comlaints of this issue by so many. On Microsoft forums, Nvidia, Evga, Dell, the list goes on and on.

What do you do at this point? Anyone have any more suggestions? I am willing to try, but reaching a point of just use XP.

My rig: (so no one will ask specs, psu blah, blah):

Dell XPS710
    Nvidia 590i chipset
    2.4 Quad 6600
    6GB PC5300 RAM - Yes I reduced back down to 2GB. NO RESOLVE.
    750W PSU
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768MB RAM

Thursday, August 9, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Dear Gents,

I feel the pain of everyone who was tried to make Vista, Nvidia, and their PC's stable. 

I'm a technologiest.  I have to make my machines stable since they run the LED video fascia systems in 30 different Sports Arenas.  I do not have solutions to these problems, but I do have advice.

First of all, I have two machines side by side on my tech bench right now running Vista and achieving better stablity then they had before.

First thing to look at... If you are going to Overclock you better have a power surply that can handle the load.  Now, before I get yelled at by folks on this board that their power surply can do the job, I want to state for the record that power surplies can only be truly test with volt meters on the lines and not relying on a Bios voltage test.  In addition, most of our stablity issues with our arena computers come down to RAM and POWER.   Back to power... I upgraded a computer running one 8800 ultra superclocked EVGA computer from 650 to 1000 power surply and presto I achieve a remarkable new benchmarkable stability.   The power surply is capable of 30 amps per express line. My 650 was suppose to provide the cards requirment of 20 amps, however, it fell short under graphic load.

Second think to look at... Mem Testing... I love our assumputions that our systems are running fine.  Test your memory with any of the many testers available.  MS has a great one you can download for free from their tech site.  Turn off the A/C, let the computer heat up a little and come back in the morning... Are you still running or are you dead in the water?
    Memory fails under heat and load.

Third thing to look at... Vista.  Stardock and other companies have released products like Vista Tweak that turn off services in a very easy to use interface.  A lot of the security bloat of Vista, which is needed for our cruel MS world, can create timing issues with the microcode between graphic cards, memory and cpu.  Thus, eleminate as many services as you can before gaming and you should achieve better stability.

Finally, all of these concepts have only yielded a mostly stable machine which I would never deploy professionally.  I believe the problem is not MS, Nvidia, and others.... the problem is global.  We are moving in such a fast pace that no company is looking beyond its core compentency.

What I have found in my experience is that these issues will get better but we as end user need to be smart.  For example, anyone using Vista without a dual boot or virtual boot of XP is asking for some disappointment at this time. The 8800 line of cards push motherboard chip to new sustained speeds.  All in all, we must understand that being on the bleeding age is risky. 

My rap up is simple.  I've got these two machines on my bench and I play them hard... but alas, they are just hacking tools right now.  I hope that within the next year I could write and say they will be deployed... everyone will have to learn how to make these hot rods stable... and that takes time.

Regards,

MJS
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:09 AM
  •  

Good post, but some things should not be aasumed. Read my last post again....

1. I tried two diffrent sets of memory. Different brands, but all the same speed and spcs of PC5300.

2. The power supply as mentioned, is 750W. Are you suggesting getting a 1000W power supply? Hmm...

3. No overclocking is done on my system, it is a Dell XPS 710 running stock with the 8800 GTX 768MB.

4. Having to tweak an OS or hardware should not be a buyers job. The systems should have been tested BEFORE they left the factory. My system has had this issue from the start.

5. True we have to be smart about the issue, and I really do think many of us are. We are dealing with flaky OS/driver/hardware issues here. What the real culprit is, seemingly Vista is having issues with certain hardware running properly. Yes bleeding edge is risky, but guess what? It is supposed to work as claimed.

6. The statement if that the problem is not M$ or Nvidia is simply not true. They set the pace of this new hardware coming out, and makes claims on what it can do. MS is known for releasing software before it is ready or stable. The cards and a lot of the new blazing fast hardware should have been tested more before being released. Plain and simple.

I will try some of the  tweaks mentioned and see. I will test all of my memory as well, but I really don't think that is the issue.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:13 AM
  • a few suggestions that worked for me:

make sure to back up and flash your bios

install the kb929777 memory fix

make sure your video card is on a 16x slot and not an 8 or 1

I do not recommend using beta drivers unless the documentation says it fixes your exact problem

as stated earlier, get a bigger power supply from a reputable manufacturer

if your system gets hot, install more fans/liquid cooling

try not to get too angry and look for solutions, I too spent over a week fixing this very expensive junk.

now it works very well (so far),  keep checking for updates every week and they will eventually fix most of the problems.  You must understand the developers cant possibly foresee all problems for all hardware configs.

my system:

vista 32 and 64 home premium

q6600

4gb dominator ram

raptor raid 0+1

2- 8800gts in sli

ageia physx

asus p5n32-e with 680i nforce chipset

complete liquid cooling (I mean everything) with koolance exos 2 and blocks

koolance 1200W liquid power supply

Monday, August 27, 2007 12:47 AM
  • I really do sympathise with everyone here.  Believe me, it's been like hell this problem.

Good news however, as I seem to have found the culprit (for my problem at least).

I read the article about how a 1000W power supply seemed to make everything more stable and that startled me.  Yes, it's a bit OTT to ask everyone to obtain a 1000W PSU.  I don't agree with that and that wasn't even the point that the person was making anyway, I believe that it was misinterpreted in some way by others.

A good PSU helps.  I have a BFG 800W SLi-Ready PSU and it's more than enough to deal with my system:

BFG 8800GTX OC
    Intel Q6600 @ stock 2.4GHz
    4GB Corsair 8500C5D @ 1067MHz
    BFG 680i

I have version P28 of BIOS.  I installed the recent MS update KB********.  I have always had UAC disabled.  None of these worked for me.  I lowered my RAM frequency to 800MHz unlinked and it seemed to make my system crash less from nvlddmkm.

This made me wonder, why is this so?

Well, I remember an old friend of mine telling me to always try to use ALL the available cable lines (the main power cables that come out from the PSU) to connect to different hardware.  He said, "if you use one cable line which has three connectors, and connect each of them to three different pieces of hardware or slots, then you will not have a very efficient use of the PSU".  So, I heeded his advice and have always used separate cable lines.

Yesterday though, I was cleaning my PC and I was so tired afterwards, that I just connected everything together and closed up the case.

Today, I've had nothing BUT nvlddmkm errors and it's been very annoying.

The conclusion:  I opened my case, changed the connections to the PSU so that AS MANY separate cable lines were being used, and restored my BIOS RAM settings to max speed.

The system now runs like it has done for the last 4 months.  Stable.

Mission accomplished!  I hope that this was useful for most if not ever person that read it.

Sincerely,

MishimaSan

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:02 PM
  • I feel somewhat embarrassed to have to come back here and tell you all that this didn't last for long.  The error came back.  It appears to be terminal, like a cancer of some sort lol.

All joking aside, I have had to pull my RAM down to 800MHz but I'm really not happy to be using expensive 1066MHz RAM underclocked simply because there is an error with either Windows Vista or nvidia drivers.  It's not acceptable and someone needs to take responsability now if they haven't yet.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:22 PM
  • I came across a post on egghead cafe where someone has posted a solution to this issue. 

Mind you, this is one of about a thousand I have read (as I am sure many of you have),

however, this is the only one that partially worked for me.  Steps to follow ( I am giving

Vista steps, XP steps will be easier ):

1) Go to your device manager and check the date and version of your nvlddmkm.sys file and

jot it down.
    2) Search your system for files named "nvlddmkm.sy_"
    3) If any of those files are newer than the date of your current file, then you are a

candidate for this solution.  If not... STOP RIGHT HERE, you ARE NOT a candidate for it.
    4) Go to your "Windows/System32/drivers" directory and locate the nvlddmkm.sys file.
    5) Rename the file to:  nvlddmkm.sys.old (Tell Vista twice you want that done, but that's

another issue )
    6) Now, from the search you did in step 2 above, copy the "nvlddmkm.sy_" file that most

matches your system to the "Windows/System32" directory. (Again, repeat for vista you want

this done - getting the hint Microsoft? ).
    7) Click on your start icon, and in the "Start Search" box, type "cmd", and notice Vista

will show you the "cmd.exe" file in the box above the search field. 
    8) Right-click the "cmd.exe" program and select, "Run as Administrator", and again tell

vista this is something you really wanted to do!  (Eventually Microsoft will start calling

me for my opinion before they make such stupid decisions!  )
    9) Within the command shell window, navigate to "Windows\System32" if you aren't already

there.
    10) Type the following command:

expand nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys

11) It should report back to you that it did something.  If it reported the file could not

be written, go back to step 8, you didn't *really* tell Vista you were administrator 

:rolleyes: .
    12) In the command shell window, type "exit" and press enter to close the window.
    13) In your file explorer (Windows Explorer), navigate to the "Windows/System32" directory

and move the "nvlddmkm.sys" file to the "Windows/System32/drivers" directory.
    14) Restart your computer.

This solution sort of fixed my problem.  I am running an SGVA+ monitor with 32 bit color

on a Windows Vista 64 Bit Ultimate (dual core 64 bit AMD) machine, and NVIDIA 6150 GeForce

Go. In my case, the files were dated 1/14/2007 and 2/28/2007, and my system was using the

1/14/2007 version of the file.

To my surprise, I *could not* use the 64 bit version of the nvlddmkm file, as it made the

driver fail on everything, rather than the one program in which it failed before.

I then tried the 32 bit version ( as I noticed a newer version of it was there ), and it

solved the problem... well... kind of. 

Two things.  First, I can no longer use SVGA+ resolution at all without falling back to my

old driver.  I can use WXGA+, and all my stuff is stretched across my screen and the

graphics aren't nearly as sharp as when running in full SXGA+ mode.

Second, when I look at the device manager, windows reports the following in the properties

for the driver:

"The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have

problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)"

I really think this is funny... as my machine is now working just fine with no problems...

yet...        Probably fell back to regular video.

So, for those of you in WXGA+ or smaller resolutions, this may very well be a fix for you.

I hope this helps.  Please give my name to both Microsoft and NVidia if it works for you. 

Maybe they will both start calling me for my opinions!

Joseph M. Morgan
    javajoemorgan@hotmail.com

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:19 AM
  • This is defintely a hardware issue. I had Dell to come out to my house after remotely entering my PC to see the error first hand. So, they took these steps:

1. Replacing the motherboard with the XPS 720 board.

2. Replacing the video card with a new one that had a updated BIOS on the card

3. Replacing the I/O interface.

After this, and using the same memory, and 750W power supply that came with the system the errors are gone. I have been running stable for about 3 weeks now. I only saw this error pop up once with I switched back and forth from my game to the desktop. I closed the game, turns out my browser was having pop-ups...closed it all is fine.

So, after many months it was the motherboard, which has the i590 chipset, and was replaced with a board that has the i680 chipset. The i590 worked great with XP, but with Vista, hosed up on the video part.

The tech's at Dell were stating certain motherboards have this issue, and have to be replaced. I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, with no issues. Same drivers, OS, power supply and memory. All I can say at this point, look to your MB and the chipset it has, it may not play well with Vista? 

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:58 PM
  •  

I had thed nvlddmkm problem with my first 8800 gtx I've heard people on various fourms posting solutions however I didnt have any probs after getting a replacement card
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:36 PM
  •  

My system is an Alienware ALX Quad Core extreme EVGA Dual 8800 (the better ones) The EVGA Nvidia i680 motherboard and ultra High Speed Ram.

I've sent it back to Alienware twice so far.

Within the first week I had the failure of 1 Ram chip.

Things went fine for about 6 weeks with the new RAM,  Then the machine gradually deteriorated. (Insane TDR's, Overheating, Blue Screens)

Returned to Alienware.  They replaced the Ram again, the Video Cards and the processor and sent the system back to me.

Things were fine for 2 weeks and then I noticed the bios wasn't holding the time.   Soon the machine would not even boot.  Replaced the Lithium battery----still  NO workie.

Returned to Alienware, who replaced the motherboard the ram and the processor

This is about week four since i received the machine back the second time, and so far,  only had one TDR while playing a Dx10 videogame, Hellgate London...  Otherwise it is doing fine so far.

I cannot believe that all that hardware went bad.  If it's true all that went bad, then that would mean the hardware business is in big trouble due to some fundamental issue and none of the big hardware companies are immune.

Somewhere I was reading about new techniques they use in chip manufacturing at the level of Protons and Neutrons.  Some other writer was talking about Chinese Silicone.  I hope thats just nonsense. 

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Another note that might be of interest.....

I simply deleted the nvlddmkm.sys file, restarted, and it is still working....

The driver reports a driver number and date (probably picked up from driver storage), but it also states the software has been blocked from starting....  So... I'm not sure "what" is running when no nvlddmkm.sys file exists... but, again, it is working.

Still, I cannot use my full WSXGA+ screen... if fact, whatever driver is there doesn't seem to understand Wxxx anything... as no matter the resolution, it sets it to standard resolution and stretches the rest.

So... I thought it may have something to do with the W.  So I reset to my original driver and changed my resolution down to SXGA+... but that didn't work.  Big sigh.....

Joe

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 9:33 PM
  • I feel for you. That sucks, because Alienware is Dell for the most part. They should send someone to your house to fix that. They did with me, and I would not accept anything less. I paid 3K for a XPS 710 which is supposed to be a top notch performer. I have 3 yrs on the warranty, which is in home support.

Something else happens, Dell fixes it. Not me. These hardware/software knuckleheads should have tested things a lot better and not leave this tinkering to buyers. Yeah I work on em, fix em, and all that but when I pay that kind of money THEY will FIX IT.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:29 PM
  • Just and update to the Nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, Display TDR failure, or what the certified driver (forceware163.75 certified and 169.09) generates every time I plug in a game :

X64_0x117_Tdr:2_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys, type 0

Now I have used external voltage and current measure devices - PSU not the problem.

Both SLI cards operate through general benchmarking (3dmark2006 - repeated 24 hours straight) individually and SLI configured – oh and also individually in either PCIe slot.

Heats not the problem - both cards within mid 50 - low 60 at time of failure.

Quad Core processor??? Well some have said that the problem .. just so they could say something.

All components SLI certified PSU, Memory, Motherboard, and (of course) the display adapters.

Plugs to PSU replaced to make sure ... not the problem.

Sum it all up... all the hardware tests undamaged and within advertised specification.

Now, to date I have tryed each certified and beta driver made public for 3 months and this (from both Microsoft and Nvidia) and each and every one had a few things in common. The drivers never install and work correctly the first time. It seems both Microsoft and Nvidia are in a secret 'scorned lover' battle with one another.

(NOTE: I have taken the precaution of removing all Video Drivers [except VGA], disabling updates, switching off and purging shadow copied files, UAP off, ect..--Completely Clean Video Driver Install. And yes - it was always after the mobo chipset driver were install too-- who knows whats linking and hooking under the hood.)

The $2800 questions today are: 1) Why doesn't the driver install and work correctly the first time. 2) Why did 163.75 suddenly go from 10000 point range +12000 when the only thing that had changed was the certification. 3) Why do my drivers eventually begin 'working' after a period of time when processing the same media workload. 4) What is the issue with Vista, Linked adapters, and mysterious framerate loss..(unless drivers have be certified eventhough they're no different from their beta) 5) Why does my adapters seem to fail after Screen/Power save mode...(Please.. 3 PSU's have be swapped)  6) Why can't two mega companies calling each other partners, stop pointing fingers at each other and put your rocket scientist together in a room with the goal of coming together and resolving a mutually embarrassing problem... Thats what partners do. Or atleast buy back the flakey bill of goods your ad campagn mislead me into purchasing...

Ok ... So now I need consuling.

eVGA 680i SLI A1 P31 bios (read Nvidia spec'ed the design)

Q6600 Intel

2 Gig OCZ 8400 SLI certified DDR2

(2) eVGA nVidia 8800 GTS Super Clocked 320mb PCIe in SLI config.

Thermaltake 750W SLI certified PSU

Seemed like the right things to put together....until Vista or DX10

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:42 PM
  • Alienware works a little different from Dell.  Even though Dell owns them they are still separate. Because the ALX systems are custom, they need it in the factory.  I can understand why.  With a Dell the Dell techs would have had to come back so many times, since the policy is to only replace one or two parts at a time.

I still have my Dell Precision Workstation to use.

Since I've had the machine back, this second time  it is stable so far.  One bluescreen when using a very graphics heavy beta product and one TDR with a Game. 

Time will tell.  I will demand a full replacement of updated computer if it starts failing again.  I think the overall problem is the new hardware in general having innate issues and then companies dragging their feet to prepare for vista.

Friday, November 16, 2007 12:39 AM
  •  Arcdeo wrote:

Just and update to the Nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, Display TDR failure, or what the certified driver (forceware163.75 certified and 169.09) generates every time I plug in a game :

X64_0x117_Tdr:2_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys, type 0

Now I have used external voltage and current measure devices - PSU not the problem.

Both SLI cards operate through general benchmarking (3dmark2006 - repeated 24 hours straight) individually and SLI configured – oh and also individually in either PCIe slot.

Heats not the problem - both cards within mid 50 - low 60 at time of failure.

Quad Core processor??? Well some have said that the problem .. just so they could say something.

All components SLI certified PSU, Memory, Motherboard, and (of course) the display adapters.

Plugs to PSU replaced to make sure ... not the problem.

Sum it all up... all the hardware tests undamaged and within advertised specification.

Now, to date I have tryed each certified and beta driver made public for 3 months and this (from both Microsoft and Nvidia) and each and every one had a few things in common. The drivers never install and work correctly the first time. It seems both Microsoft and Nvidia are in a secret 'scorned lover' battle with one another.

(NOTE: I have taken the precaution of removing all Video Drivers [except VGA], disabling updates, switching off and purging shadow copied files, UAP off, ect..--Completely Clean Video Driver Install. And yes - it was always after the mobo chipset driver were install too-- who knows whats linking and hooking under the hood.)

The $2800 questions today are: 1) Why doesn't the driver install and work correctly the first time. 2) Why did 163.75 suddenly go from 10000 point range +12000 when the only thing that had changed was the certification. 3) Why do my drivers eventually begin 'working' after a period of time when processing the same media workload. 4) What is the issue with Vista, Linked adapters, and mysterious framerate loss..(unless drivers have be certified eventhough they're no different from their beta) 5) Why does my adapters seem to fail after Screen/Power save mode...(Please.. 3 PSU's have be swapped)  6) Why can't two mega companies calling each other partners, stop pointing fingers at each other and put your rocket scientist together in a room with the goal of coming together and resolving a mutually embarrassing problem... Thats what partners do. Or atleast buy back the flakey bill of goods your ad campagn mislead me into purchasing...

Ok ... So now I need consuling.

eVGA 680i SLI A1 P31 bios (read Nvidia spec'ed the design)

Q6600 Intel

2 Gig OCZ 8400 SLI certified DDR2

(2) eVGA nVidia 8800 GTS Super Clocked 320mb PCIe in SLI config.

Thermaltake 750W SLI certified PSU

Seemed like the right things to put together....until Vista or DX10

This is why I believe in buying a system with one, 3-4 year  warranty.

It may turn out that the new boards and new GPUs have inherent issues requiring a recall.  Its not just changes due to Vista.

I have quad core, 8800 sli, both eVGA as well in my Alienware ALX.  see my messages above to see how many replacement parts Alienware has put in so far.

Ive had the system back for nearly a month now and so far only 2 issues as described in my last post.

If the TDRs and issues start up again...third time is a charm,,,,,I will demand newer revisions or newer models.  Keep in mind the Applications (games etc.) are also having to fix things too.  Its an easy out for people to blame vista.

Friday, November 16, 2007 12:49 AM
  • system:

Core 2 Duo 6420 @ 2.3 GHz

Dual GeForce 8600 GTS (using SLI)

Vista Ultimate 32-bit

4 Gig DDR4 memory

750W PSU

(Dell XPS 710)

I kept on stalling then recovering while playing games like Halo 1, and a BSOD and automated restart for World In Conflict. It was nvlddmkm that kept on crashing.

I am not sure if it is still here, because I havent played in a while. I got frustrated and called Dell support, and all they did was go to dell website and download their version of the Nvidia driver, and it works fine. No clue why, as I installed updates and newer drivers from Nvidia website that helped 0%. It will probably come back, but for now, it is smooth sailing for me.

I am not going to touch it at all, unless it starts stalling again.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Is everyone using the "HIDE" mechanism with Windows Update----to make sure you do not get an autoupdate of the old driver from last April?

Nvidia's later drivers do not seem to get recognized by Windows update.

Checked the date of the nvlddmkm file in the drivers 32 folder.  Even after installing a new nvidia driver...a day or so later you may have recieved the old nvlddmkm and not know it.  So in Auto updates change setting to "Ask me before install" and you can choose to HIDE that update and not be bothered again by the old driver.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:50 AM
  • I have an Invidea LE6500 video dispay and Vista Home premium it came preinstalled any way I am having the same trouble at boot up can't find video drivers i have updated from Invedea web site and tried every trick I can think of but no use either I am not using a high end card and having the same trouble It must be a cluster no gets along here is it Vista or Invdidea I wish I still had a machine with XP

Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:55 AM
  • I am having this issue of succesfully recovering display driver etc As no-one has posted for a while im guessing its been fixed and my system has somehow updated/backdated itself to an older version?

My spec

Q6600

EVGA 680i A1

9200 OCZ Reaper @ 1100 - under stock...

2 sata drives in raid 0

8800gt - 512mb

I set this system up in early December and i thought everything was going too well! No problems up untill 5-6 days ago when i first recieved nvlddmkm.sys error. The bios is whatever it came with at the time (im at work and cant check as home computer is a nightmare through intermitent i-net connection). Have the up-to-date drivers fixed this, if so is there anything i should look out for when reinstalling windows tonight after work? Very frustrating problem!

R

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:08 PM
  • good luck with the reinstall.  make sure to flash the bios before you do anything.  also use the vista memory test as memory seems to be a huge issue with the 680i and only use 2gb of course.  I see your memory is not on the "official" list is why I suggest the test.  I also recommend 1066 until install/testing. Having your memory faster than your bus is only waste and overworks your northbridge, unless you oc your board.  I have a similar setup and have had no problems since the drivers have finally been fixed.  If you want the speed and have the cooling, I have my clock at 1333 and my memory at 1333, runs perfect.  good luck

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:37 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, ill flash bios with p31 i think is latest, i was running 2 gb @ 1100, fsb @ 1350 as its on vista 64bit when playing demanding games i hit 95-98% usage on the ram so ive just forked out for another 2gb of the same stuff, there is a vista fix for more than 2 gb of ram, im guessing this is a waste of time?

maybe i should just go back to xp!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:19 AM
  • As this problem continues, I've added a post on my blog that gets a lot of traffic and advice: http://i.nconspicuo.us - just search for nvlddmkm. You can also check this site out... dedicated to Windows Vista and the nvlddmkm error: http://nvlddmkm.allofyourquestionsanswered.com/
    Monday, January 28, 2008 8:29 PM
  • I am in the UK and have just purchased a brand new HP Quad 6600, 3GB RAM, nVidia 8400 that worked fine, but was not that impressed with the graphics having come from a 1yr old HP P4 3Ghz with nVidia 7500 (I think), so bought an 8800 GT 512MB. Took out the old card, inserted the new one, installed the driver from the CD, it ran OK, checked for new drivers, it was up to date. Ran World in Conflict and after varying times the screen goes blank with no errors reported. It stays blank and eventually the  flat screen decides there is no video and goes to sleep.

I have had to pull the plug twice and reboot. The longest it lasted before blank was about 30 minutes. The shortest about 5 seconds. Totally unstable. Having read this entire thread, I see many conflicting solutions. I guess this problem is still there. Can anyone suggest an order of fixes that I can follow, starting with the least expensive. If it all fails I guess I will just stick the slower 8400 back in again. Having said this, when the 8800 does work it is massively faster than the 8400. Thanks in advance for anyone that can be bothered to help.
    Friday, February 1, 2008 12:02 AM
  • I'd like to point out that this is a widespread issue involving nvidia display drivers, and not even remotely related to the video cards in my opinion.  Going throug the nvidia forums, and these, it's clear that there are far more customers effected than just the 8800 series cards, though maybe more so with that particular card.

I used to have a MOBO http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/pt880/

with a GeForce 6600 GT.  I couldn't so much as open up the vista Chess game without either the nvlkddm error, or negative (-) frame rates.

I purhcased a new MOBO http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4COREDUAL-SATA2, and updated the display drivers, and get artifacts on every pop up message (such as UAC, or any prompts), I have run driver cleaner, and used various methods to reinstall the drivers, but nothing has worked.  Last resort is to reformat the HD.

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:19 PM
  • There should be a class action law suit soon. Has anyone heard of one yet? I want to start one but am not sure how. I bought my card a year ago at premium price. We have all been taken advantage of because these cards were advertised to work with Vista and DX 10. I think NVIDIA is at fault and should be sued. I would never buy another NVIDIA card as long as I live and I hope they go out of business due to this. I want all of my money back or a brand new ATI card. The new technology not the 1 year old stuff.

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:55 PM
  •  tisdale36 wrote:

There should be a class action law suit soon. Has anyone heard of one yet? I want to start one but am not sure how. I bought my card a year ago at premium price. We have all been taken advantage of because these cards were advertised to work with Vista and DX 10. I think NVIDIA is at fault and should be sued. I would never buy another NVIDIA card as long as I live and I hope they go out of business due to this. I want all of my money back or a brand new ATI card. The new technology not the 1 year old stuff.

I haven't had any issues at all for months now.  Since at least last 3 driver versions, and I had a terrible time their for a while. .  Have you made sure your old driver was correctly and totally (clean up tool)  removed before installing the latest and that Windows Update isn't giving you an old driver? I set my Windows update to tell me what I want to install.

dc
    Monday, February 25, 2008 10:28 PM
  • I received an automated NVIDIA driver update dated February 1, 2008.  This driver solved my problem completely.

Just to note, however, in the event others experience the same issue with the same software as mine.  My problem was with Maxon Cinema 4D, which seemed to have two problems.

1) It didn't seem to load *all* of the driver, or something.  That is, originally, I couldn't do anything.  I later learned I could open up Cinema 4D to its default desktop, and zoom in on any view.  There was a noticeable flash of colored lines, but afterwards, everything worked normally.  That is, zooming somehow kicked the software/driver/whatever into gear.

2) In 3D compositing drawing curved splines... more accurately, editing a curved spline.  Even the above solution didn't fix this, as it would eventually die.  Easy enough to fix, as I can draw the splines in illustrator and then import them.

The Februrary 1, 2008 driver update fixed the issues completely.

Java Joe Morgan

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:16 AM
  • Here is what you need my friend. ftp://ftp.evga.com/driver/177.83_VISTA32.exe

WHQL enabled with this driver.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Hi. I'm trying to collect all of the data about this stupid nvlddmkm error and put it all into one place so people won't be spending that much time scouring all over Google for the solutions. This website is at http://www.nvlddmkm.com please let me know if there should be anything that I should add to the website. Thanks!
    -Nick
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:48 AM

• I had the problem in both Windows 7 and in Windows XP. The neat thing I noticed in Windows XP is the OS would automatically drop the refresh rate for my monitor from 75 Hz to 60 Hz then I would no longer have the problem in XP. Again I don't play games on the PC just work. My problem wasn’t Aero or Dream scene since XP doesn’t have any of those and I was getting the problem in both OS's. Once windows XP dropped the Hz to 60 all my problems were gone in XP. Win 7 seems to try to run it at 75 if that is where you set it. So I went into Win 7 and dropped the refresh rate to 60 Hz. Work’s great for me. Nick you can add this to your solution page if you would like. It is possible for my screen resolution that this LCD just does not like 75 Hz, or the card doesn’t like 1280x1024 at 75 Hz, but it runs at 60hx great in both Win XP and Win7.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:56 PM
  • I am getting this issue. I play AION ONLINE, and the error: NVLDDMKM keeps messing up my game for me. Not amusing. It started happening with me when I got my PC which was purpose built, and Windows (NIGHTMARE) Vista was with it. I was told I had a "free" upgrade to Windows 7, which others are now advising me to upgrade to, but seems the upgrade period was not very long. ... and I cannot afford yet ANOTHER expense, when this has cost me a lot already. I attempted speaking to Microsoft ... who blame NVidia and tell me to sort it out with them.

However the issue: I am playing the game ... my screen keeps freezing up for about 5-15 seconds. It then freezes again, goes black, recovers, goes black .. comes up that there was an error NVLDDMKM - freezes again, recovers, and then goes white, black ... the entire screen fills with multi colored specks, and then freezes and makes a juddering sound and I have to press the Switch On button in order to get the PC to recover from this error.

Attempting to contact NVidia is a complete waste of time, they are not interested in the people who keep them in business, they do not even bother to respond to eMails, which I have sent to them, and there is no way to call them to attempt to speak to a real person.

I have no way of getting in touch with Microsoft or NVidia, to try to get them to help me, and I suck at all the behind the scene stuff in technology. This is my PC Build.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.091208-0542) 
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer: System manufacturer 
    System Model: P5QL PRO 
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/12/09 10:04:29 Ver: 08.00.14 
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz 
    Memory: 8190MB RAM 
    Page File: 4559MB used, 20486MB available 
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows 
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11 DX Setup Parameters: Not found 
    DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 64bit Unicode 

Display Devices --------------- 
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA 
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 295 
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC 
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05EB&SUBSYS_070510DE&REV_A1 
    Display Memory: 4077 MB Dedicated Memory: 877 MB 
    Shared Memory: 3199 MB Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz) 
    Monitor: SyncMaster P2250/P2250G,SyncMaster Magic P2250G(Digital) 
    Disk & DVD/CD-ROM 

Drives ------------------------ 
    Drive: C: Free Space: 314.3 GB Total Space: 476.9 GB File System: NTFS 
    Model: Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device 
    Drive: D: Free Space: 323.3 GB Total Space: 476.9 GB File System: NTFS 
    Model: Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device 
    Drive: E: Model: ATAPI DVD A DH20A4H ATA Device 
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:42 AM