Service Manager - 'Request User Input' notification RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Using Service Manager 2012 R2 Rollup 4

I have successfully setup an Exchange connect to Office 365.

Creating a new Incident - sends an email to both the Affected and Assigned user.

So email flow is working.

I am now trying to setup a  notification in an Incident after the 'Request User Option' has been selected.

It adds an analyst comment and I am trying to find out how to send the update to the Affected User.

I haven't been able to find instructions for 2012 R2, everything I find is for 2010 or 2012 and doesn't work.

Help!!!!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• You would have to create a notification based on the trouble ticket action log class. But that can easily get abit messy as a novice. I suggest you use the "SendEmail" for contacting affected users instead. Much easier and good explanatino on how to set it up.

Cheers,

Anders Spælling

Senior Consultant

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:   

Please remember to 'Propose as answer' if you find a reply helpful

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Yea... for what I was asking for that would work.

However, i spent some more time on this and I DID get it to email the affected user after using 'request user input'

I setup a subscription with class 'Trouble Ticket Analyst Comments', with additional criteria of Comments Private equals False. Related Recipient is 'Has Analyst Comment[Trouble Ticket] -> Affected User[User]

That does work, and they get the email.

Sadly, I can't get it to work in reverse. I'm trying to get a notification to the Assigned User when the Affected User leaves a comment. I have it setup and working that when they reply to an email, it adds the comment to the Incident. 

It's adding the reply as an Analyst comment and setting it to Private.

I created another subscription and reversed what i did before setting the Related Recipient to Has Analyst Comment[Trouble Ticket] -> Assigned To User[User]

No such luck on getting an email there.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:49 PM
  • Not sure why that would work. Maybe the "request user input" task creates this relationship (affected user). You have to be aware that the subscription wizard just lists all possible (but also most of them unlikely) relationships. Just because you can pick one doesn't mean the relationship exists.

What you are trying to do with the subscription that doesn't work is saying: send the notification to the user object that is the target of the relationship "assigned to user" with the source of this trouble ticket. There is no such relationship.  Try to mouseover the relationships and there is a hint.

Also these relationships are only one way. Sometimes you want it the other way around, and you would have to change it manually in the xml. What you are looking for is the relationship between a trouble ticket and an incident (not sure what this is called and it is getting late) and then the relationship (assigned to user) between a work item and a user object. Now you have the user object, which the the user assigned to the incident. This object has an email address!

You could try out Ciresons Notifiy Analyst app. There is a free version available.

Cheers,

Anders Spælling

Senior Consultant

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:   

Please remember to 'Propose as answer' if you find a reply helpful

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:10 PM
  • Yea, looking to avoid third party software. I'm familiar with importing XML as MP's. I just haven't been able to find anything through searching that explains how to do it with comments to/from the Affected and Assigned user.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Friday, January 23, 2015 11:32 AM