[2004] System process continuously consumes 20% of CPU (RaiseIrqToDpcLevel) RRS feed

• Question

• Fresh install of 2004 (19041.264).
    Latest updates and computer firmware (BIOS).

Friday, July 3, 2020 5:46 AM

Answers

• Using xperf and Windows Performance Analyzer I was able to identify AMD Video Card  driver is the source of my problem.
    • Marked as answer by marianh Monday, July 6, 2020 10:30 AM
    • Edited by marianh Monday, July 6, 2020 12:08 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 10:30 AM

All replies

• as this seems to be a screenshot from ProcessExplorer: select the thread, click on the "Stack" button.
    Then either post the callstack, or look for yourself: there is probably a device driver on the stack.

This is from a notebook? Has it more then one disk drive?
    Friday, July 3, 2020 1:07 PM
  • as this seems to be a screenshot from ProcessExplorer: select the thread, click on the "Stack" button.
    Then either post the callstack, or look for yourself: there is probably a device driver on the stack.
    It says "Cannot access thread". Even when I run Process Explorer under SYSTEM account.
    This is from a notebook?

Yes.

Has it more then one disk drive?

No.

• Edited by marianh Monday, July 6, 2020 4:48 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 4:47 AM
  • I've been able to capture Stack using Process Hacker:

Monday, July 6, 2020 6:22 AM
  • Hi marianh,

It seems that ntoskrnl.exe consumes a lot of CPU. It can be caused by many reasons, like Bad or outdated Device Drivers,Malware and viruses

new compressed memory on Windows 10, et al.

You can refer the link below to resolve your issue.

https://appuals.com/high-cpu-or-disk-usage-by-ntoskrnl-exe-on-windows-10/

(Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/yongrhee/how-to-troubleshoot-high-cpu-in-the-system-process

Best regards,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, July 6, 2020 7:25 AM
  • Hello Sylvia,

we are trying to narrowing it down to specific driver. which is causing high CPU usage.

Please try to suggest a way to achieve that.

• Edited by marianh Monday, July 6, 2020 7:29 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 7:29 AM
  • You can use the Kernrate Viewer which gives some information on what device drivers are using the CPU.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, July 6, 2020 8:20 AM
  • Using xperf and Windows Performance Analyzer I was able to identify AMD Video Card  driver is the source of my problem.
    • Marked as answer by marianh Monday, July 6, 2020 10:30 AM
    • Edited by marianh Monday, July 6, 2020 12:08 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 10:30 AM
  • that was also visible form the callstack: atikmpag.sys
    Monday, July 6, 2020 1:41 PM