eMail Address Policy Root/Child Domain RRS feed

• Question

• We have a root/child domain setup and an internal/external domain setup.

I really need some help because I cannot find the answer. 

Is there any reason why I need to have email address policies for my sub domains? 

Please any help is most appreciated.

Monday, April 8, 2013 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hi TIA,

Thanks for your update and clarification.

That depends on whether you  need @subdomain.com for your users located in the subdomain. Exchange server supports multiple smtp email address and multiple email address policies.

Refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996314(v=exchg.80).aspx

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

E-mail address policies generate the primary and secondary e-mail addresses for your recipients (which include users, contacts, and groups) so they can receive and send e-mail. By default, Microsoft Exchange contains an e-mail address policy that specifies the recipient's alias as the local part of the e-mail address and uses the default accepted domain.

In another word, without a email address policy, recipients in the Exchange organization will have no email address to send/receive email message.

Refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998940(v=exchg.80).aspx

Fiona Liao

• Marked as answer by -eee Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by -eee Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:33 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Thank you for your response.   I should have been more specific. 

I do understand the purpose of the eMail Address policy. 

With an internal/external domain setup we have a split DNS environment. All users PrimarySMTPAddress must be stamped with our @externalDomain.com.  Exchange does not own the SMTP Domain name space for @externalDomain.com; I share the SMTP Domain name space with Unix Sendmail.

I have an eMail policy for users to be stamped with @externalDomain.com but I am not sure if I need email address policies which stamp both the @externalDomain.com  and  the secondary proxy address of @subdomain.com. 

So my question is with the above setup would I need to use secondary proxy addresses for my windows sub domains if I have eMail Address policies which cover my @externalDomain.com?

TIA

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Hi TIA,

Thanks for your update and clarification.

That depends on whether you  need @subdomain.com for your users located in the subdomain. Exchange server supports multiple smtp email address and multiple email address policies.

Refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996314(v=exchg.80).aspx

Fiona Liao

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:25 AM
  • Thank you again, I saw this KB article and the examples in the article do not apply.

Somewhere I read about using subdomains.com for Exchange ActiveSync Policies but I cannot find the article.

So, would I need to use subdomains.com proxy addresses for Exchange ActiveSync policies?  Last piece to this questions

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Not sure what do you mean with the Exchange ActiveSync policy. Are you trying to add multiple ActiveSync policies to one user? That shouuld not work because we can add a user to only one Exchange ActiveSync mailbox policy at a time. But a lab testing would be a better way to emulate the environment and unexpected issues.

Refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997929(v=exchg.141).aspx

Fiona Liao

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:33 AM