none
Connecting to VPN before logon, Option missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm running some tests on Windows 8.1 Ent, and one of them is configuring VPN.

I have no problems with setting up the VPN connection(Using Check Point VPN) and I can connect a get IP address, when connecting from the desktop.

I want to be able to connect to the VPN before I log on the laptop, which should be possible.

In the logon screen, there is a icon for the Networks, where you can connect to WiFi etc.

I had at one point also the option to connect to VPN, but now its missing!?!

I have removed and configured the VPN connection a number of times now, and still it's not on the logon screen. It appears when I'm on the desktop but not before I'm logged on.

Is there a option that I'm missing, which allows the VPN connection to be visible at the logon screen??

Poul Behrendt DK

Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As what you description, please try following steps:

Windows 8 connect to VPN before logon

http://blog.lan-tech.ca/2013/03/02/windows-8-connect-to-vpn-before-logon/

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 10, 2014 9:27 AM
    Owner
  • Hi,

The laptops are joined to our Domain, so the first part is not the problem.

the guide also refers to: Note these VPN connections must have been created using the “Allow other people to use this connection” option 

That option is not something I can find:(

I have attached 2 pics, one(pic01.jpg) how VPN is showing in the Desktop and one(pic02.jpg) showing the absent VPN from the logon screen.

Mind you, it's a Danish version of Windows, just if you were wondering what those funny names were:)  

Pic01

Pic02

Poul Behrendt DK

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:45 PM
  • That option is found when you are setting up the VPN connection:

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro

The Springboard Series on TechNet

Friday, January 10, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Well that worked, but not the way I want :(

When making the VPN configuration, through that "wizard" I can pick the option you shown, but I can't chose what type of VPN connection I'm going to a use.

When I configure the VPN connection through the "tile" version of the wizard. I can chose what type of connection I want to use, like "Check Point VPN"

How does I get the function from both wizards??

The Wizard I'm using should be called "Administrate Virtual Privat Networks" or something like that.

Pjc04

And the connection option I'm choosing is "Check Point VPN"

Pic05

I have tried(again) to configure a connection, through the Wizard you refers to, in which I can't pick "Check Point VPN". It start ok from the logon screen, but it doesn't connect. I can see it is running through the deferent types of connection L2TP etc. but it doesn't connect.

Only the one which I configure through the "tile" wizard, and which I can't get to be on the logon screen, works and connects to the VPN site.

I have tried editing the connection after creation through "Edit setting for Network"(or something like, again mine are on Danish) but I can't find a option I which I can chose connection type like "Check Point VPN"

Poul Behrendt DK

Monday, January 13, 2014 10:48 AM
  • Poul,

I am encountering the very same problem as you are and have also tried everything you did, but without result. It makes no sense to me that Microsoft has implemented the VPN addition option two different ways and each of them incompletely. Have you found a solution to this predicament?

We are using Check Point firewalls in our environment and if I cannot pick the firewall vendor as identified in the wizard through the Metro interface, remote VPN connectivity is never established. If I chose the Metro approach, I have no means to configure sharing options for users of the machine (not network users).

Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:00 PM
  • Not to be one to revive a completely dead thread, but this is unanswered and still ranks in Google results (which is how I got here).

The answer is that Windows stores VPN connections in a file called rasphone.pbk. For connections created through the "Modern UI" or where the "Allow other people to use this connection" option has not been selected, the connection details are persisted in the user profile version of this file; where the option to share is ticked, the information is stored in the "shared profile".

I don't have the exact folder references for 8.1, but likely they are the same as Windows 10, which is:

User-version:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk

Shared-version:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk
    You can manually update these text files to update an entry from per-user to shared if you need to.  I don't think there's a UI option to do this after the connection has been created.

Hope this helps the next passer-by.

R

• Edited by RichardHauer Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:26 AM formatting
    • Proposed as answer by RichardHauer Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:23 AM
  • Hi Richard

Yes this thread have been dead for some time.

I never got the Pre logon VPN connection to work with Windows 8.1. But we never got around to deploying on that platform.

The plan is now to try and see if I can get the pre logon VPN connection to work with Windows 10. But I havn't worked much with Windows 10 in that regards yet :)

Poul Behrendt DK

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Thanks, it's just what is needed! Copy the pbk-file from personal folder to the shared folder and it works, the folder is placed same place in Windows 10

Regards

Monday, April 24, 2017 8:40 AM
  • Thank you RichardHauer !!!  This worked perfectly in Windows 10
    Sunday, October 8, 2017 10:00 PM