Difference between queus and views RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

Sometimes I have hard to explain what the difference is, for my customers and students.

Queues is for me a way to group related work items and views is for displaying the information.

What do you suggest?

/Mats

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 8:39 AM

Answers

• Queues can be used to group Work Items based on criteria. Queues can be used to filter objects available in views, affected in the notification process and to limit the scope of Work Items with permissions of user roles. 

Views are filtered lists of Work Items based on criteria.

The main difference between Queues and Views is maybe the following:

Filtering the list of Work Items with a view means only Work Items are listed that fits the criteria. But if you use the search in SCSM console you will find any Work Item that meets the search criteria.

View "Show all Incidents of Support Group XYZ" will limit the objects in the list view. But with a search you are able to see/find any Work Item the search criteria met.

With Queues you can control permisssion on the scope of Work Items.

A Queue "All Incidents of Support Group XYZ" will limit a user role to see only Work Items that meets the criteria. This will apply to views but also for a search in the SCSM console.

Does this make sense?

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:39 AM

All replies

• Queues can be used to group Work Items based on criteria. Queues can be used to filter objects available in views, affected in the notification process and to limit the scope of Work Items with permissions of user roles. 

Views are filtered lists of Work Items based on criteria.

The main difference between Queues and Views is maybe the following:

Filtering the list of Work Items with a view means only Work Items are listed that fits the criteria. But if you use the search in SCSM console you will find any Work Item that meets the search criteria.

View "Show all Incidents of Support Group XYZ" will limit the objects in the list view. But with a search you are able to see/find any Work Item the search criteria met.

With Queues you can control permisssion on the scope of Work Items.

A Queue "All Incidents of Support Group XYZ" will limit a user role to see only Work Items that meets the criteria. This will apply to views but also for a search in the SCSM console.

Does this make sense?

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:39 AM
  • Hi there,

good explanation. I have one customer that only has views, no queues. The have one that the have test the SLA function. The have one All view and then views that show what the has to work with.

/Mats

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:56 AM