none
DPM 2012 Hyper-V Host Backup - Performance RRS feed

• Question

• One of the exciting features of DPM 2012 for us is the Hyper-V Agent "changed block" file system filter that should improve the performance of backups using an Agent on a Hyper-V host.  It's also much cleaner to have item level recovery built into the product in a way that works when DPM is installed into a virtual machine without having to "cheat" and install the Hyper-V role in a VM.

I have a single VM that I'm using for testing with DPM 2012.  The 2012 agent is installed on the host.  The VM consists of a single 50 GB OS boot partition.  The initial backup takes almost exactly an hour, with 59 GB total data transferred (presumably some overhead is required).  This is consistent with DPM 2010 performance.

Subsequent backups in 2010 also took about an hour, because there really was no incremental backup of VHD files on a Hyper-V host with 2010.  But, with 2012 the new file system filter should provide this by monitoring changed blocks in the hosted VHD's.

After a few hours of usage on this VM, I ran another express full backup, and the results were as follows.  The backup took 15 minutes, with 3 GB total data transferred.

Clearly this is an improvement.  But, looking at the underlying infrastructure, I'm somewhat confused why it still takes 15 minutes and does not run much, much faster.  The storage is capable of delivering 3 GB in a fraction of the time (under 2 minutes easily), as is the network.  If the host agent is really tracking the changed blocks so that the express full backup can focus only on known changes rather than having to compare both full-size VHD files in order to locate those block-level differences, then what takes 15 minutes?  Ignoring the first minute for the VSS snap, I don't see any reason why this subsequent backup should have taken longer than say 3 minutes.

What can be done to improve the performance yet further?

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

• HI,

After Windows 8 ships, DPM 2012 Sp1 will support protecting Windows 8 Clustered VM's in the same optimized block level tracking as it is today for non-clustered Hyper-V backups.  Backups will be much faster than Windows 2008 Hyper-V backups today when protecting any Hyper-V Guest on Windows 8.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:58 PM

All replies

• I'd immediately transition to 2012 if the above would also be true for Hyper-V clusters. Hope you can improve the performance even further.

Friday, May 4, 2012 4:43 AM
  • HI,

After Windows 8 ships, DPM 2012 Sp1 will support protecting Windows 8 Clustered VM's in the same optimized block level tracking as it is today for non-clustered Hyper-V backups.  Backups will be much faster than Windows 2008 Hyper-V backups today when protecting any Hyper-V Guest on Windows 8.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Hi Mike, thank you so much for this information. You just might have sold a couple Enterprise licenses :).

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:55 PM