File Permission on Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a new 2008 R2 server in a workgroup. I have the access to D$ set to User with full permissions. I have the user accounts setup on the server. User logges into a work station with these creditentials. I have a batch file which maps drives using UNC conventions.

The folders and files can be seem but access is denied to anyone all file and folers are read only.

I have been Mirroring this server with my old production server using ROBOCOPY with the following command line

robocopy "\\10.10.128.6\d$" "\\10.10.128.7\d$" /COPY:DAT /NFL /E /NP /R:1 /W:5 /LOG:Server.Log /XD recycler /XD "System Volumn Information" /XD SQLDATA /XD Master_File_Copy

Any file or folder that is created always READ ONLY.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If new created file and folder are all read only, it may be caused that the permission on Drive D is set as read only and is inherited to subfolders and files. Please change the permission on Drive D and replace child object permissions to see the result.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If new created file and folder are all read only, it may be caused that the permission on Drive D is set as read only and is inherited to subfolders and files. Please change the permission on Drive D and replace child object permissions to see the result.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:27 AM
  • I had forgotten to set the $D share permission for Users. Once I set that, then all the security permissions fell into place.
    Thanks, Tom Bates
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:49 PM