Deploying specific drivers for specific machines in SCCM! RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

How to deploy specific drivers for specific machines in SCCM!

example HP drivers for HP machines

dell drivers for dell

. and so on

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:05 AM

Answers

• There's lots of info available on this subject from your favorite search engine. Here is a popular method:

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/273/The-Drivers-Saga-continues-How-to-Master-Drivers-in-ConfigMgr-2012

• Marked as answer by DundarT Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:12 AM
  • If you are deploying an OS, then you are not doing "both" - you are deploying an OS using the OSD feature of ConfigMgr.

As for any other OSD project/task:

- identify the hardware makes/models, and the necessary WinPE drivers and FullOS drivers
    - identify the hardware-specific utilities/applications for the hardware, according to your needs
    - construct the driver library and packages according to your planning
    - construct the OS customisations according to your planning
    - construct the applications/utilities packages
    - construct the AppModel Applications according to your planning
    - construct the OSD Task Sequence to create your reference image (if needed)
    - create the reference image
    - construct the OSD Task Sequence to deploy your reference image, drivers, packages, applications, customisations and everything you want deployed

Depending upon your existing ConfigMgr implementation, design, and expertise, some of this may already be well established practise.

There are many guides available on the web - but each ITPro has their own approach, and, every customer is a little different from the next customer :)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by DundarT Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Like Kevin there noted, read this link http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/273/The-Drivers-Saga-continues-How-to-Master-Drivers-in-ConfigMgr-2012, try to implement the methods described there and if you have questions / problems, post them.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:03 PM
  • You should use MDT to build and capture your reference image on a virtual machine, which should be as generic as possible, meaning that it should have no additional drivers, only contain apps that will need to be on every machine built with the image (things like the latest OS software updates, .NET, VC++ runtimes, and perhaps even Office)

Once you have the reference image, import it into ConfigMgr, then use task sequence steps to dynamically apply the correct drivers for whichever brand/model you are deploying. At the site I linked to previously, there is an example of using WMI queries to accomplish this.

For additional details, search for anything and everything by Johan Arwidmark and Mikael Nystrom. Follow what they recommend and you can't go wrong. :-)

Disclaimer: You certainly CAN build and capture your reference image in ConfigMgr if you want. Suggesting you use MDT is just my opinion, but it is a popular opinion.

• Edited by KevinMJohnston Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by DundarT Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:01 PM
  • 1. Should I create one image that include all drivers and use it for all machines?

2. Should I create four images, one per vendor and every one include vendor's drivers?

3. Should I create basic image with only apps not drivers and deploy drivers later after OS deployment? if yes how to deploy the drivers? what are the methods I can use?

4. Should I create multiple answer files for automating the deployment of drivers or single Answer file that include drivers settings?

Answers:

1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes and no, you deploy the drivers during the OS deployment, you can use apply driver package task sequence step and WMI filtering for each make/model you're deploying, just read the link posted.
    4. No

What you'll need, is a reference image (what Kevin there explains) created in a VM. This reference image is then deployed to your client machines. During the deployment to the clients, the drivers are installed for specific computer model in case. In OSD terms you need:

• Build & Capture Task Sequence = For building the reference image in a VM, this sequence includes "Auto Apply Drivers" -step, nothing more.
    • Deployment Task Sequence = For deploying the created reference image to your client computers, this sequence includes the "Apply Driver Package" -steps for specific computer models.

You also need to figure out how to manage the drivers, that's where the Johan's link kicks in. Basically you need to create a folder structure for <Manufacturer>\<Model>\<OS>-<Architecture> and use them as your categories when importing the drivers to ConfigMgr, then you create a driver package for specific model in case and use the package in your deployment task sequence. This is configured with options to only run when that specific model is detected during the deployment, in WMI for example: SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model Like '%SomeFancyModel%', this is explained here http://markswinkels.nl/2013/02/how-to-sccm-2012-and-installing-drivers-by-computer-model-using-wmi-query/

For all this to work, you'll need:

• Determine all the computer manufacturers / models you're going to be deploying
    • Determine the specific model listed in computer's WMI, this isn't always the same as the actual model of the machine. You can use ConfigMgr queries or reports to check this, assuming you've got ConfigMgr clients installed in your computers already
    • Get the driver .inf files for your computer models, this can be a tricky one. You can use this excelent tool for 'grabbing' the correct drivers from already installed machine: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-Driver-Injector-aae7d17d

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:01 AM

All replies

• There's lots of info available on this subject from your favorite search engine. Here is a popular method:

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/273/The-Drivers-Saga-continues-How-to-Master-Drivers-in-ConfigMgr-2012

• Marked as answer by DundarT Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:12 AM
  • Are you talking about installing drivers during OS deployment or to ConfigMgr clients already running the full OS?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:06 AM
  • @ Torsten: both :)

Regards

• Edited by DundarT Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:33 AM
  • @ Torsten: both :)

Regards

Look at the link Kevin provided for OS Deployment.

For full OS is a bit more complicated, there's a couple of method, you can use this one :

http://www.kraftkennedy.com/sccm-deploying-driver-updates-existing-machines/

Or create "normal" silent package and deploy them to your machines. It's not possible to deploy Drivers packages in SCCM 2012.

Benoit Lecours | Blog: System Center Dudes

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:51 PM
  • So let's say I want to deploy Win 8.1 Enterprise to 1200 workstations as the following:

• 300 X Dell PCs
    • 300 X HP PCs
    • 300 X Lenovo PCs
    • 300 X Fujitsu PCs

I want to deploy Win8.1 Enterprise with the following Apps on all machines:

• Symantec AV
    • Office 2013
    • Adobe Reader

The Dell, HP, Lenovo and Fujitsu all have different drivers for NIC, Sound and VGA, so what are all of  the methods to complete this deployment?

Thanks

Regards

• Edited by DundarT Sunday, February 7, 2016 11:49 AM
    Sunday, February 7, 2016 11:46 AM
  • any update?

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:37 AM
  • If you are deploying an OS, then you are not doing "both" - you are deploying an OS using the OSD feature of ConfigMgr.

As for any other OSD project/task:

- identify the hardware makes/models, and the necessary WinPE drivers and FullOS drivers
    - identify the hardware-specific utilities/applications for the hardware, according to your needs
    - construct the driver library and packages according to your planning
    - construct the OS customisations according to your planning
    - construct the applications/utilities packages
    - construct the AppModel Applications according to your planning
    - construct the OSD Task Sequence to create your reference image (if needed)
    - create the reference image
    - construct the OSD Task Sequence to deploy your reference image, drivers, packages, applications, customisations and everything you want deployed

Depending upon your existing ConfigMgr implementation, design, and expertise, some of this may already be well established practise.

There are many guides available on the web - but each ITPro has their own approach, and, every customer is a little different from the next customer :)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:36 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:36 AM
  • What's wrong with the information/links already provided? Maybe try them and then come back with specific questions if you run into issues? Asking a question like "so what are all of  the methods to complete this deployment?" is far too broad.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:39 PM
  • @kevin: thank you for the links it is very useful, I have so questions regarding this:

1. Should I create one image that include all drivers and use it for all machines?

2. Should I create four images, one per vendor and every one include vendor's drivers?

3. Should I create basic image with only apps not drivers and deploy drivers later after OS deployment? if yes how to deploy the drivers? what are the methods I can use?

4. Should I create multiple answer files for automating the deployment of drivers or single Answer file that include drivers settings?

Thanks

Regards

• Edited by DundarT Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Like Kevin there noted, read this link http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/273/The-Drivers-Saga-continues-How-to-Master-Drivers-in-ConfigMgr-2012, try to implement the methods described there and if you have questions / problems, post them.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:03 PM
  • You should use MDT to build and capture your reference image on a virtual machine, which should be as generic as possible, meaning that it should have no additional drivers, only contain apps that will need to be on every machine built with the image (things like the latest OS software updates, .NET, VC++ runtimes, and perhaps even Office)

Once you have the reference image, import it into ConfigMgr, then use task sequence steps to dynamically apply the correct drivers for whichever brand/model you are deploying. At the site I linked to previously, there is an example of using WMI queries to accomplish this.

For additional details, search for anything and everything by Johan Arwidmark and Mikael Nystrom. Follow what they recommend and you can't go wrong. :-)

Disclaimer: You certainly CAN build and capture your reference image in ConfigMgr if you want. Suggesting you use MDT is just my opinion, but it is a popular opinion.

• Edited by KevinMJohnston Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:51 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:01 PM
  • 1. Should I create one image that include all drivers and use it for all machines?

Answers:

1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes and no, you deploy the drivers during the OS deployment, you can use apply driver package task sequence step and WMI filtering for each make/model you're deploying, just read the link posted.
    4. No

What you'll need, is a reference image (what Kevin there explains) created in a VM. This reference image is then deployed to your client machines. During the deployment to the clients, the drivers are installed for specific computer model in case. In OSD terms you need:

• Build & Capture Task Sequence = For building the reference image in a VM, this sequence includes "Auto Apply Drivers" -step, nothing more.
    • Deployment Task Sequence = For deploying the created reference image to your client computers, this sequence includes the "Apply Driver Package" -steps for specific computer models.

You also need to figure out how to manage the drivers, that's where the Johan's link kicks in. Basically you need to create a folder structure for <Manufacturer>\<Model>\<OS>-<Architecture> and use them as your categories when importing the drivers to ConfigMgr, then you create a driver package for specific model in case and use the package in your deployment task sequence. This is configured with options to only run when that specific model is detected during the deployment, in WMI for example: SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model Like '%SomeFancyModel%', this is explained here http://markswinkels.nl/2013/02/how-to-sccm-2012-and-installing-drivers-by-computer-model-using-wmi-query/

For all this to work, you'll need:

• Determine all the computer manufacturers / models you're going to be deploying
    • Determine the specific model listed in computer's WMI, this isn't always the same as the actual model of the machine. You can use ConfigMgr queries or reports to check this, assuming you've got ConfigMgr clients installed in your computers already
    • Get the driver .inf files for your computer models, this can be a tricky one. You can use this excelent tool for 'grabbing' the correct drivers from already installed machine: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-Driver-Injector-aae7d17d

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:01 AM
  • Dears, thank you all for your valuable and useful information and posts, I appreciate this.

Thanks

Regards

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:58 PM