PowerShell cmdlet "Get-WindowsCapability -Online" fails if WSUS is used on 1709 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I found that there is an access violation in Windows 10 1709 when I wan't to run "Get-WindowsCapability -Online":
    Get-WindowsCapability : Get-WindowsCapability failed. Error code = 0x800f0954

If I set the registry key to (bypass WSUS)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windowsupdate\AU
    UseWUServer=0

and restart the WindowsUpdateService (wuauserv) then the command works as expected.

How do I get the cmdlet to work with WSUS or is this a bug?

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:22 AM

Answers

• Solution for us for 1709 onwards:

gpedit.msc (or create a GPO)
    Administrative Templates\System\"Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" and check the checkbox "Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Service (WSUS)"

• Marked as answer by Markus Klocker Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:20 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:19 AM

All replies

• I've just started running into this same issue today.

I had built a 1709 image to deploy late in 2017 and we had been using that for imaging up until about the last week when I realized that ever since our SCCM SUP (WSUS) sync'ed this months updates on patch Tuesday (May 8th), any new computer or VM imaged after that time would not detect/install the 2018-05 updates. But any existing computer imaged before that day had no problem detecting/installing the 2018-05 patches....  

I tried a bunch of different things and the only solution I found to fix computers imaged after May 8th was to delete the c:\windows\softwaredistribution folder...so to me..some metadata is messed up on the May updates...but meh...

...Last Friday, finally decided to create a new image that included the 2018-05 updates so we wouldn't have to mess with the softwaredistribution folder on newly imaged computers.  Today started deploying using the newly updated image and now our step to remove extraneous apps (ie, XBOX, etc)... has started to fail.   I suspect either KB4131372 or KB4103727 has caused this new issue :-/

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:30 PM
  • Solution for us for 1709 onwards:

gpedit.msc (or create a GPO)
    Administrative Templates\System\"Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" and check the checkbox "Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Service (WSUS)"

• Marked as answer by Markus Klocker Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:20 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:19 AM