none
Item Level Recovery not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed DPM 2012 SP1 installed on Server 2012 and I am backing up to a Tape library.

I am backing up Hyper-v virtual servers that are alkl located on a failover cluster using CSV's

I am new to DPM so I am testing a few things out before I go ahead and start protecting the network.

I am trying to use Item Level Recovery but I cannot view any files or folders.

I setup a test protection group to backup a small sever that is running. I installed the agent on all node's and that found the failover cluster group. In the protection group I selected the server that is listed under the failover cluster name and ticked the Hyper-V option. I created a recovery point and that ran and the point was created on the tape without any problems.

I go into the recovery section and I can see the backup under recoverable data/my domain name/server name/All protected Hyperv data/Backup using saved state. I select that and the recoverable Item lists C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2\VHDs\servername.vhdx.

I want to test out an ILR on that. From the help pages it says to just double click to mount the vhdx. I double click on it and nothing happens, no errors. It just doesn't do anything. I can run through recover wizard to recover the whole VM but I don't want to do that.

I tried with a another server but same thing.

Have I missed something? Is what I am trying to do achievable?

Monday, September 16, 2013 10:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have just seen the supported/unsupported table on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757981.aspx

Looks like ILR is not supported when recovering using Tape

• Marked as answer by drensta Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:16 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

That is correct, we can only perform Hyper-V and SharePoint protection Item level Recovery (ILR) from short term disk based recovery points.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:35 PM