none
User Seucrity Group in Item level targetting not working since ... I don't know

Question

• Hi,

I've been using User Group based item level targetting with success but now it won't seem to work. I'm not doing GPP's so often so can't say for how long now.
    While looking on the internet I've found an article describing this issue, but I didn't meet the conditions. It was something with different domain names not corresponding. I can't find this article anymore, even looked in my browser's history. If someone knows this article/issue please tell me.

Here are some details on my issue.

I have a GPO applied to an OU with users. The GPO works.

In the GPO, in the USER section I have preferences which I apply on a user security group, and that setting doesn't get through.

If I add another Item Level target but this time I use a user account (which is also member of previous group), then it works.

If I use an item level target based on Computer in Security Group (same group even) it works as well.

So it only doesn't want to work when I use a USER security group.

No errors in eventvwr where it says it has difficulties applyingn this preference and gpresult simply doesn't show the preference. It's as if the user is not member of the group. Tried different groups and users.

I'd appreciate opinions and/or experiences. Anyone knows what this is?

EDIT: It's possible that the solution of the other problem also solved this issue. Today I realized the problem went away. I'm giving it another test tomorrow before definite conclusion.

Either that or my diagnosis wascompletely wrong, but I doubt it! :-)

• Edited by Jazz.be Monday, August 29, 2016 3:15 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    In my opinion, I would check if the group name is changed or the membership for users is changed in AD by accident.
    In addition, you could have a try to use security filtering function in GPO to apply group policy for a specific group:
    How to Implement Group Policy Security Filtering
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-2003/Group-Policy-Security-Filtering.html
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 29, 2016 3:13 AM
  • I've been working a whole day (or even several days) on this problem, trying with new groups, different groups. Adding several users and computers. Also different preference items (registy, scheduled tasks) It works every time with computers, it doesn't with users.

GPO security filtering on security group seems to work. We don't use Authenticated Users for this. Though I just learned there was an issue since a June patch with that as well. Authenticated Users needed read access on the GPO for user policies to apply since. I learned this when I was troubleshooting the issue above. 

Either way, this doesn't seem to solve my original problem.

I've read somewhere this problematic and incosistant behavior could happen in certain situations but I lost the article where I read this.

EDIT: It's possible that the solution of the other problem also solved this issue. Today I realized the problem went away. I'm giving it another test tomorrow before definite conclusion.

Either that or my diagnosis wascompletely wrong, but I doubt it! :-)

• Edited by Jazz.be Monday, August 29, 2016 3:15 PM Problem went away
    Monday, August 29, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

First of all, I am glad that the problem went away, and then appreciate for your update and share.

If you could share us more details about how to solve the problem, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same problem.

Thank you for the time again.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 01, 2016 1:21 AM