none
Do activities sometimes become corrupt? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a schedule with a 12 day activity that is 50% complete with an Actual Start prior to the Status Date.

It also has a FF+10 and a FF+0 predecessor tie coming from two activities that are projected to occur after the Status Date.

Based on those relationships, and manually calculating when the activity SHOULD be forecast to finish:

1) It is inexplicably finishing a month later

2) The bar for the activity shows a dotted line starting at the actual start (with NO portion of the bar before the Status Date), and a red bar at the end of the dotted line that is longer than the 12 days, PLUS it shows the blue "progress" bar in the first half of it!

I deleted the activity and re-added it with the same relationships, and same progress, and it calculated and displayed perfectly, with 6 days of progress prior to the Status Date and the remaining 6 days (without progress) where it should be as controlled by its predecessors.

I can only conclude that sometimes activities become corrupt and need deleted and re-added - OR that there is some mystery data generated in the calculation process that can't be displayed even by adding columns, such that one can't even see what's controlling the activity.  Has anyone else had such an issue or been told the only fix is to delete and re-add?  Thanks!

Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:44 AM

All replies

• KidDigital,

Yes, Project files can become corrupt for various reasons but it should not happen under normal use. Corruption usually occurs when using a linked structure (e.g. master/subprojects, resource pool/sharer, or paste links) and doing things that corrupt the links (i.e. rename files, overwrite files, move files, save off files). It can also occur if the file is shared across different versions of Project, or used across an unstable network, and in rare cases as a result of extensive complex editing. Do any of those things apply to your file?

By the way, what version of Project are you using? Is it updated with the latest service pack?

John

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:38 AM