none
Remove email address from login screen when using a Microsoft account

Question

• Is it possible to not have my email address visible on the login screen. I still want to use my Microsoft account as Windows 8.1 isn't worth the effort with just a local login. Currently the way the Microsoft login works, every laptop user effectively gives away their name, email and (likeness, if they are photographed) every time they open the lid to anyone in the vicinity. In the age of phishing scams where people are looking for this info it seems like they are catering to those people rather than their users.

Note- already changed my name in my Microsoft account to gobbely gook but the email issue still remains. 

Any and all help much appreciated

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:31 PM

All replies

• The option one may help you:
    User Account Name - Change in Windows 8

Alternatively you could convert your live account to a local account, but that would obviously stop the syncing with Microsoft services.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:07 AM
  • Thanks for the reply - I had already had this done but it only changes the name displayed, my main email account is still displayed. I don't get why the decision was made to display peoples email before getting access into a machine eg laptop, desktop and mobile. 

From "Manage your account alias

You can use multiple email addresses, like your personal and professional email accounts, with your Microsoft account. Each of these is called an alias, and you can use any of them to sign in and communicate with others through Microsoft services, like Outlook.com.

Your account's primary alias is displayed on your Microsoft devices (such as a Windows PC, Xbox or Windows Phone), and you can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time. "

So no mater what I do with regard to me name, my main email address continues to be displayed, I even tried with having my account auto logged in, and what pops up is a welcome screen again giving away my email address plus what ever name I have given Microsoft.

On my android devices none of my info is accessible unless someone gets past the login screen, I'm hoping that Microsoft address this issue. its not like people don,t know their own email address or that a generic external login couldn't be tied to an internal Microsoft account on the machine. 

PS - Is this the same on Windows phones that your info is displayed to anyone who picks up the phone and only gets to the login page ?.

PPS - Microsoft Privacy Statement 

http://www.microsoft.com/privacystatement/en-us/core/default.aspx

"Accessing Your Personal Information

Some Microsoft services give you the ability to view or edit your personal information online. To help prevent others from viewing your personal information, you first will be required to sign in. How you can access your personal information will depend on which sites or services you have used."

Looking at the above underlined statement it seems to me that the Windows 8.1 login page breaks Microsoft's own privacy statement as some of the information is given away prior to login.

• Edited by daveog3 Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:55 PM more info
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:40 PM
  • I'm glad that I'm not the only one who both wonders what the point is in showing the email address and to be worried about the privacy issue. Despite lots of googling I'm no further to getting an answer either 
    Sunday, July 3, 2016 12:38 PM