none
How to deploy Windows 8.1 RT System Recovery Image and WinRE to the recovery partition

General discussion

• Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Dell Windows RT tablet from someone. It had the problem of not starting anymore. I managed to get my hands on a Windows RT 8.0 Recovery USB Image for this type of tablet. I used a Imaging tool to install this image on a USB drive. I booted with this and I could access the Advanced recovery options. I started the Command Prompt and launched Diskpart. I saw all of the partitions where gone. So I used Diskpart to re-install all of the partitions using the Microsoft standard. It looks like this:

convert gpt
    create partition primary size=450
    set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC
    gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows RE tools"
    assign letter=T
    create partition efi size=200
    format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
    assign letter=S
    create partition msr size=128
    create partition primary
    shrink minimum=4200
    gpt attributes=0x0000000000000000
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    assign letter=W
    create partition primary
    set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery image"
    assign letter=R
    rescan
    exit 

All went well. After recreating the partitions, I used DISM to deploy the *.wim image on the USB drive to the Windows partition and installed the bootloader afterwards. The tablet was fixed after this :) I installed Windows RT 8.0 and updated to Windows 8.1 RT afterwards without problems :-).

So, this is great news. However, I would like to make sure there is a Full Recovery option available, which recovers the Tablet to Windows 8.1 RT when using the 'Refresh' option. I assume the Windows Installation and the 8.1 update doesn't create these Recovery files automatically on the Recovery Partition.

So my question is, how do I create a Windows RT 8.1 Recovery Image and deploy the Windows 8.1 RT Recovery files including the WinRE environment to the Recovery partition, so that in a case of a needed Refresh, Windows can fully refresh the tablet to it's factory defaults? I assume I first need to create a Recovery Image and then use DISM again to deploy the Recovery files to the correct partition and folders? Only, I have no idea how to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rob, the Netherlands.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Considering that the issue should be related to Windows RT, and  Since we have limited testing environment, I suggest you submit a new case on Windows RT forum as they will be more professional on your issue: 

This is the Windows RT forum link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_rt?auth=1

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:59 AM
  • I found this on you tube this should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSfezTi44_w

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:59 PM