none
Backup up and Restoring a PWA Site - Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• This is our environment:

- One main server (2008R2) running SharePoint 2010/Project Server 2010

- One database server running SQL 2008 R2

Both are obviously 64-bit and both are running on a VM.

Here's my problem:

Using sharepoint central admin, I can backup and restore our SharePoint and Project Server sites like a champ.  Same goes for using a powershell script and restoring from the nightly backups that I run.

However, I cannot restore our PWA site using the standard/tested methods.  The only way that I've been able to successfully restore a PWA site is to snapshot the SharePoint server then put the SQL databases back (to whatever date in time we choose to restore from).  Obviously, this is not an elegant or proper solution.

Having spoken with a few 3rd party vendors (when looking for a simple PWA backup/restore solution), their product does not support PWA backup/restore (Quest, DocAve, etc).  So I pose the question here...what is the accepted method for backup up and restoring a PWA site?  Online searches lead me down dead-ends (or suggestions that do not work) and frankly I'm tired of rebuilding our dev environment looking for a solution to what should be a simple problem (but seemingly isn't).

I just want to restore to the original server/site, so nothing fancy about putting it between two sites or anything.  And, I just want to put the entire PWA site back based on a nightly backup.  Again, nothing fancy.

PWA is the entire reason why we installed SharePoint/Project Server.  Not being able to *easily* restore a PWA site is a real problem.

Thanks.

• Edited by _tkm Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:13 PM

Answers

All replies