none
BranchCache issue RRS feed

• Question

• I do not have BranchCache Hosted Cache Client (HTTP) out listed under the Outbound rules in advanced settings. My security protection is affected and I wish to know how I can rectify this problem. I have read the other comments on this platform and none work for me as I cannot get past the Outbound Rules screen. Please help.

Doogle2010 

Saturday, March 4, 2017 6:54 AM

All replies

• Try resetting the firewall to defaults. On Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, right click Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on Local Computer (left pane at the top) and then Restore Default Policy.
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 7:54 PM
  • Hi, 

Please check the configuration on Client for BranchCache in Firewall here: 

To configure firewall rules for BranchCache using Group Policy

• Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and click Group Policy Management Console.

• Right click the GPO you created for BranchCache and choose Edit.

• Click Computer Configuration, point to PoliciesWindows SettingsSecurity SettingsWindows Firewall with Advanced Security, and then click Inbound Rules.

• Create a firewall rule for HTTP (required in both Distributed Cache and Hosted Cache modes):

1. From the Action menu, select New.

• If you are authoring the Group Policy object on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7:Click Predefined, select BranchCache – Content Retrieval (Uses HTTP), and then click Next.
            • If you are authoring the Group Policy object on a computer that does not include the predefined BranchCache firewall rules:Click Port, and then click OK. Click TCP, click Specific local ports, type 80 in the text box, and then click Next.
          2. Click Allow the connection, and then click Next.
          3. Choose the networks in which the rule will apply. In most cases, it is appropriate to select the Domain profile, and leave the Private and Public profiles unselected.
          4. Type a name for the firewall rule, and then click Finish.
        • Create a firewall rule for WS-Discovery (only required in Distributed Cache mode):

1. From the Action menu, select New.

• If you are authoring the Group Policy object on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7:Click Predefined, select BranchCache – Peer Discovery (Uses WSD), and then click Next.
      • If you are authoring the Group Policy object on a computer that does not include the predefined BranchCache firewall rules:Click Port, and then click OK. Click UDP, click Specific local ports, type 3702 in the text box, and then click Next.
  • Click Allow the connection, and then click Next.
  • Choose the networks in which the rule will apply. In most cases, it is appropriate to select the Domain profile, and leave the Private and Public profiles unselected.
  • Type a name for the firewall rule, and then click Finish.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:08 AM
Owner
  • if you use netsh.exe to configre the clients, it will attempt to set the correct FW rules automatically..

netsh branchcache set service mode=HOSTEDCLIENT 

Phil

Phil Wilcock http://2pintsoftware.com @2pintsoftware

Monday, July 3, 2017 8:10 AM