even on complete high restrictions a user can bypass the software RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello.

first at all, sorry for my bad english, its not my primary language.

so, i would like to put a puter in the lobby of my work. i am working at a hospital. the puter needs network access cause it has to open a intranet site. the intranet site is a local search engine to find the right doctor (the hospital is very big).

so, i searched a lot and when i found steady state i thought its perfect. but well, i have found a way to bypass it...

first of all, i have all restrictions on high, just one custom cause i set high and added some more things to prevent options.

1. the user can still use right click in the browser.

2. the user can use control + n for a new window and has adressfield options. so he can access anything.

3. when you hit f3 the search field opens. by clicking files and folders youll have full access to the network and the local drive to delete and do anything.

my big point is to make the user absolutely not administrating anything.

i used to program a lil software that prevents the fkeys, so that problem i can solve by myself by an additional software. but i cant disable special buttons like alt and control.

is there any help or is this known and will be fixed ?

-s

Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:45 PM

Answers

• Currently, we do not have such setting in SteadyState to  disable Control, Alt keys and some users have posted this in the forum. We have forwarded the suggestions to our product group and see if this will be added in the later version. Thank you.

Monday, May 19, 2008 6:41 AM
  • Dear wormie,

in the public reading rooms of our library we use the precursor of Windows Steady State (the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit v. 1.1) in combination with TeamSoftware Solutions Public Web Browser to manage access to the machines available to the public.

A helper application in this setup is called HideGUI and can be found here.

Perhaps this can do the trick for you: HideGUI hides the Windows NT/2000/XP Graphical User Interface (GUI), and disables selective key combinations.  It works like a charm.

HTH.

Sincerely,

Jan J.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:43 AM

All replies

• Currently, we do not have such setting in SteadyState to  disable Control, Alt keys and some users have posted this in the forum. We have forwarded the suggestions to our product group and see if this will be added in the later version. Thank you.

Monday, May 19, 2008 6:41 AM
  • Dear wormie,

in the public reading rooms of our library we use the precursor of Windows Steady State (the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit v. 1.1) in combination with TeamSoftware Solutions Public Web Browser to manage access to the machines available to the public.

A helper application in this setup is called HideGUI and can be found here.

Perhaps this can do the trick for you: HideGUI hides the Windows NT/2000/XP Graphical User Interface (GUI), and disables selective key combinations.  It works like a charm.

HTH.

Sincerely,

Jan J.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:43 AM