none
Bare Metal Recovery of Windows 2008 R2 DC on Dell Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed two new Dell servers as replacement Domain Controllers. They are running Windows 2008 R2.

I keep getting a message similar to:

DPM is unable to enumerate contents in \\?\Volume{e95810a3-9a06-41df-abc4-806e6f6e6963}\ on the protected computer dc3.myDomain.com. Recycle Bin, System Volume Information folder, non-NTFS volumes, DFS links, CDs, Quorum Disk (for cluster) and other removable media cannot be protected. (ID: 38)

When I look at Storage, there are 3 partitions:

55 MB - OEM Partition
    2.01 GB FAT32 - System, Active, Primary
    146.55 GB NTFS - Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary

I don't have options to delete the OEM or FAT32 partitions.

Any suggestions on how to repair this?  What happens when you have an OEM Partition on the box but you want to configure BMR ?

Thanks,

Bob

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:54 AM Moving to DPM SS and BMR Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:43 AM

Answers

• Again, thanks!

I ran the backup and got the following error:

Retrieving volume information...
    One of the source volumes specified has an invalid format and cannot be protected using Windows Backup. Only volumes formatted with NTFS can be protected.

This has me back to my suspicion that one of my non-NTFS volumes is causing the problem.

MOUNTVOL returns:

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{e95810a3-9a06-11df-aba4-806e6f6e6963}\

*** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{e95810a4-9a06-11df-aba4-806e6f6e6963}\

C:\

\\?\Volume{e95810a7-9a06-11df-aba4-806e6f6e6963}\

D:\

fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo \\?\Volume{e95810a3-9a06-11df-aba4-806e6f6e6963}\   returns:

Volume Name : OS

Volume Serial Number : 0x7da0716

Max Component Length : 255

File System Name : FAT32

Preserves Case of filenames

Supports Unicode in filenames

That drive shows as OS, 2.01 GB FAT32, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Ahhhl  I just found a couple threads that help!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/a79a4eeb-8ac3-4442-aa0c-76d83ebb7e47

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/d6a5b150-dd71-4bfb-a5c6-c53310dd3c2f

Using Remote Desktop connected to my new Domain Controller, I went to an Admin Command prompt,

1. I ran DSKMGMT.MSC and changed the drive letter of the FAT32 partition to be a drive letter (F: in my case).  It didn't have a letter prior to this.  Ultimately this step wasn't needed.

2. Then I ran the following:

C:\Windows\system32>bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
    Boot files successfully created.

This moved the Boot attribute off of the OS partition and placed it on the C:

3. I then typed DISKMGMT.MSC, right-clicked on C: and selected Mark Partition as Active

4. I rebooted and 2 minutes later it booted!!!

5. I ran DISKMGMT.MSC again and removed the drive letter from the FAT32 partition and then quick formatted it as NTFS.

6. Rebooted just for grins and it came back up just fine.

Now that the FAT32 partition is gone, I tried:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

It ran just fine.

Went to DPM 2010 Mgmt console and ran a Consistency Check. Protection Status is OK for BMR on both DC’s now!

This thread can be closed.  Thank you for your help, Mike!

Bob

• Marked as answer by Bob Duffett Friday, August 13, 2010 2:42 AM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

That popup is basically information in nature, it should not prevent you from protecting the server.  Are data sources enumerated properly if you continue with the create PG wizard ?

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Okay. Thanks!  I'm able to create the PG but I'm having the same problem on both the new DCs.

I can selected any permutation of Protected Storage / BMR / System State on the Protected Server (Domain Controller) and it will give me "Replica is inconsistent".  Nothing I do will get them consistent.

I can select C:\PerfLogs on the same system and it backs it up just fine.

The entire system is only 10GB in actual use.  The DPM server has 140GB in free temp space. I read that it needs enough space to hold a system image.

The DPM disk has nearly 6 TB of unallocated space so that's not the problem.

I read that Windows Backup 2008 is being used by BMR.  It wasn't installed on the protected server so I installed.

No errors in system or application logs on the DPM or Protected Server box.

DPM 2010 is much cleaner than 2007 but the Agent Install and Inconsistent Replica resolution is still a bear! :S

Bob

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Please check the protected server (PS) and make sure the Windows backup feature is installed and if already installed look for any event messages on the PS for Windows backup that may detail the cause of the failure.  To test BMR backup outside of DPM, try this command:

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

3) troubleshoot any Windows backup problems that occur, once this works, DPM should be able to take BMR backups.

4) Check the disk space required for the BMR by looking at the \\server\bmrshare and make sure the PG on the DPM server has enought disk space allocated for the replica volume to hold the BMR backup.

NOTE: BMR backup does NOT require any disk space on the PS, DPM writes directly to the DPM Servers replica volume. However, if you only selct SystemState (not bmr option) - then DPM will require ~15GB free space on the PS.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Again, thanks!

I ran the backup and got the following error:

Retrieving volume information...
    One of the source volumes specified has an invalid format and cannot be protected using Windows Backup. Only volumes formatted with NTFS can be protected.

This has me back to my suspicion that one of my non-NTFS volumes is causing the problem.

MOUNTVOL returns:

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{e95810a3-9a06-11df-aba4-806e6f6e6963}\

*** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{e95810a4-9a06-11df-aba4-806e6f6e6963}\

C:\

\\?\Volume{e95810a7-9a06-11df-aba4-806e6f6e6963}\

D:\

fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo \\?\Volume{e95810a3-9a06-11df-aba4-806e6f6e6963}\   returns:

Volume Name : OS

Volume Serial Number : 0x7da0716

Max Component Length : 255

File System Name : FAT32

Preserves Case of filenames

Supports Unicode in filenames

That drive shows as OS, 2.01 GB FAT32, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Ahhhl  I just found a couple threads that help!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/a79a4eeb-8ac3-4442-aa0c-76d83ebb7e47

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/d6a5b150-dd71-4bfb-a5c6-c53310dd3c2f

Using Remote Desktop connected to my new Domain Controller, I went to an Admin Command prompt,

1. I ran DSKMGMT.MSC and changed the drive letter of the FAT32 partition to be a drive letter (F: in my case).  It didn't have a letter prior to this.  Ultimately this step wasn't needed.

2. Then I ran the following:

C:\Windows\system32>bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
    Boot files successfully created.

This moved the Boot attribute off of the OS partition and placed it on the C:

3. I then typed DISKMGMT.MSC, right-clicked on C: and selected Mark Partition as Active

4. I rebooted and 2 minutes later it booted!!!

5. I ran DISKMGMT.MSC again and removed the drive letter from the FAT32 partition and then quick formatted it as NTFS.

6. Rebooted just for grins and it came back up just fine.

Now that the FAT32 partition is gone, I tried:

It ran just fine.

Went to DPM 2010 Mgmt console and ran a Consistency Check. Protection Status is OK for BMR on both DC’s now!

This thread can be closed.  Thank you for your help, Mike!

Bob

• Marked as answer by Bob Duffett Friday, August 13, 2010 2:42 AM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 2:41 AM
  • I discovered I have the same problem with that FAT32 partition on my new Dell T710 PowerEdge. I have already done a lot of work on this server, some I had to repeat because Dell called and informed me the motherboard had a virus from the factory and had to be replaced. When they replaced it it wiped out all my network configuration for virtual machines, etc. I did a successful wbadmin backup before the motherboard replacement, but now it doesn't work - I get the FAT32 problem and also a "includes reparse" error if I don't do a bare-metal option. What a nightmare this Dell server has been.

I am going to try the steps outlined in above post, which has me afraid and wondering what next.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Did you purchase your systems without an operating system?  That seems to be the common problem.

I have a Dell 710 too although that's not the box causing the problem.

The steps above worked for both my DC's without any issue.

Rules on DPM is that everything must be NTFS.  It's been running great for past 2 days.

Bob

Monday, August 16, 2010 2:37 AM