none
Add Server 2012R2 Essentials server to SBS 2003 domain without migrating RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SBS2003 server and wanting to put in a Server 2012 to run Exchange 2013. Dell sold me a Server with 2012R2 Essentials. I want to keep the SBS2003 running because of SQL. I will be putting in a SQL in the near future. Will I be able to join the new server to the SBS2003 when it is running Server 2012R2 Essentials?
    Friday, February 27, 2015 8:17 PM

Answers

• You cannot run SBS 2003 and Essentials together for any productive length of time. They coexist just long enough to migrate. This is both a technical and legal boundary. Additionally, running Exchange on Essentials has some issues that cannot be worked around.

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:40 PM
  • Hi icondoit,

I agree with Cliff. The Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials once deployed, must be the domain controller at the root of the forest and domain, and must hold all the FSMO roles. It can be installed in a pre-existing Active Directory domain only on the pretext that you are migrating to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Note that there is a grace period of 21 days for completing the entire migration from previous versions of Windows Server Essentials or Small Business Server editions. For more details, please refer to following article.

Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials in an Existing Active Directory Environment

If just install Windows Server Experience role on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter edition in an environment with a pre-existing Active Directory domain, it does not have to be a domain controller. Please refer to following article.

Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an Existing Active Directory Environment

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:32 AM

All replies

• You cannot run SBS 2003 and Essentials together for any productive length of time. They coexist just long enough to migrate. This is both a technical and legal boundary. Additionally, running Exchange on Essentials has some issues that cannot be worked around.

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:40 PM
  • Hi icondoit,

I agree with Cliff. The Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials once deployed, must be the domain controller at the root of the forest and domain, and must hold all the FSMO roles. It can be installed in a pre-existing Active Directory domain only on the pretext that you are migrating to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Note that there is a grace period of 21 days for completing the entire migration from previous versions of Windows Server Essentials or Small Business Server editions. For more details, please refer to following article.

Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials in an Existing Active Directory Environment

If just install Windows Server Experience role on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter edition in an environment with a pre-existing Active Directory domain, it does not have to be a domain controller. Please refer to following article.

Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an Existing Active Directory Environment

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:32 AM