none
How to deal with a metadata field (multi-select, lookup) in SP List/Library having more than 7000 records

Question

• Brief Description: there are 7000+ records with two fields (OrgID and OrgName), we need these records in a single field of SP List/Library as a metadata, also allow multi-select.

What is the best approach or recommendation for:

-                     - Where and how to store these records as a datasource (SPList, SQL Server, MS-Access, CSV etc.)

-                     - How to connect it with a field in SPList? (Lookup, External Datasource and/or using JavaScript)

Environment: SharePoint Online (O365)

Considerations:

-        - JavaScript is the loop routine in SharePoint Online.

-        - Threshold limit is 5000.

-        - Once a field is multi-select it cannot be indexed

Nitin Jain

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What do you mean “need these records in a single field of SP List/Library as a metadata”? 7000+ records have two fields, so you want to remove one field?

SharePoint list contains some default columns (e.g. Title, ID, Created, Created by), which means list items won’t only have one column.

Could you please talk more about your requirement? Where are these 7000+ records with two columns stored in? Could you provide a screenshot about the result you want to achieve?

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 23, 2016 2:47 AM
  • yes, I want to link/lookup only one field, not both fields. However, I would like to display 2nd field on the view based on chosen 1st field value.

I mean, a SharePoint list/library having it's default columns along with this OrgID column.

Actually the data is in a dump file and I populated a separate SPList and connected this with a lookup column in main list. Which works fine when records are less than 5000 (threshold limit).

How can we mitigate threshold limit on a lookup column in a SPList/SPLibrary? also when this lookup column is multi-select.

Nitin Jain

• Edited by Nitin Jain22 Saturday, December 24, 2016 1:09 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 7:27 PM