none
Need More Info on Failed Job RRS feed

• Question

• I created a protection group for data that we need to archive to tape. I ran the jobs yesterday in which the first 2 folders were successful so I added 2 more to the PG. When I checked the DPM server this morning there were alerts for the protection group stating that "Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in Tape Library Dell PowerVault..". There are 2 tapes used for this protection group, the second tape has only used 524 GB (the capacity is 800GB/1/6).

I would like to know what data was already backed up to the tape so that I do not have to back it all up again but when I click on "View tape contents" all that I see is the Volume path. Is there a way to view the actual contents on the tape?

Also, it would have been nice if the job would have gone to a "pending" state and resume once I added a free tape instead of just failing without any information about what data has already been backed up. Is there a setting in DPM to have it not fail when there are no more free tapes?

Thanks

Friday, June 17, 2011 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by jfnva70 Friday, June 17, 2011 4:37 PM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by jfnva70 Friday, June 17, 2011 4:37 PM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Good to know, I'll make that change.

Thanks

Friday, June 17, 2011 4:37 PM