none
DPM 2010, Active Directory backup problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

We have the server with DPM 2010 (build 3.0.7707.0) installed, it's member of AD domain Domain1.

I created one protection group with different data sources to protect - Exchange databases, file servers, SQL Server, etc. It configured for long-term protection on tape.

When I'm including system state backups from any of Domain1's DCs, DPM refuses to backup ANY other data from the same protection group. All data sources still shown in the group and in "ok" state, no errors or warning - just no scheduled jobs to backup any data except system state from the domain controllers are created. System state backup from non-DC machines or from trusted domains DCs works normally.

Is it a bug or some limitation by desing? Can AD backups coexist with other data sources from same domain within one protection group?

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi ildarz,

Yes, AD backup (system states backup of a DC) can coexist with other data sources with the same domain within one protection group. I would recomend you to have your backup of system state and volumes in different protection groups.

The reason is that the file VSS and the system writers VSS will try to backup its data with the VSS technuiqe and System state backup wil create local file files that are sycnorized to the DPM server.

Try this and I will think it will work. Get back with info.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for reply, Robert.

I tried to experiment with different protection group configurations and found that my DPM server has pretty weird logic.

We have resource forest Forest1 and number of trusted forests. DPM and all servers are in the Forest1. DPM is installed on dedicated server with local SQL database (SQL Server 2008 SP2).

Scenario 1, single protection group.

Existing protection group (PG1) - file servers, Exchange databases, DPM server itself.

Adding any source (including AD backups in trusted forests) except backups for Forest1's DCs works fine.

Adding any backup source (not only system state) from any DC in Forest1 disrupts protection of entire group - only jobs for DCs are scheduled.

Scenario 2, trying to create second protection group (PG2).

Adding only DCs from Forest1 - works fine.

Adding any other backup source causes jobs for Forest1's DCs to disappear from scheduler. 

So, PG2 behaves oppositely PG1.

The only way to backup DCs from Forest1 seems to create protection group dedicated to this purpose only. If any other backup source added to this protection group, either DCs or other sources will not be backed up.

While it's a workaround for my current problem, it would be really nice to have some understanding why DPM behaves this way, to avoid further problems.

• Edited by ildarz Friday, October 14, 2011 8:56 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Hi ildraz,

Regarding the design of your protection groupp you shouldn't place to many protected members in one protectino group. The way you should design your protection group is:

• What it's protecting. For example, one protection group for Exchange another for SQL and so on...

Or

• Depending on you internal SLA. For example, create a protection group that makes a recovery point every 4th hour and syunc every 30 min. Place those funtions or data in your organisation that fits the backup schedule.

A good and well designed protection group strategy will make your DPM server work optimal. This is very importaint.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, October 21, 2011 7:49 AM