none
Transport layer for communication with Blob Storage? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have recently been learning about the Internet Protocol Suite, so excuse me if my question sounds confusing, because I am confused.

I have learned there are different layers involved in the communications over the internet.

So, I know the Blob Storage works with HTTP as an application layer. 

The next layer is called transport layer. My question here is, which kind of transport layer protocol is used for the information exchange with the Blob Storage? Thanks.

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:58 PM

All replies

• Which kind of transport layer protocol is used for the information exchange with the Blob Storage?

Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) are cryptographic protocols that provide communications security over a computer network. SSL 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 have been found to be vulnerable. They have been prohibited by RFC. TLS 1.0 becomes insecure for using insecure Block cipher (DES CBC and RC2 CBC) and Stream cipher (RC4). PCI council also suggested the migration to higher TLS versions. For more details, you can see Transport Layer Security (TLS).

Azure Storage has stopped SSL 3.0 since 2015 and uses TLS 1.2 on public HTTPs endpoints but TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 are still supported for backward compatibility.

For more detailed information, you may refer to the suggesting mentioned in Windows Azure Storage Architecture Overview

Hope this helps!

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:48 AM
  • @xoani Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:49 AM
  • Hello. So you are saying TLS is used, but as I googled, I read that TLS is on the Application Layer level, so same as HTTP. I thought HTTP is used on the Application level, so I wanted to ask what is used in the Transport Layer (out of the OSI model)
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:28 PM
  • HTTP can technically be implemented with any transport layer but in practice, TCP is the de-facto transport layer because the internet speaks that. Nothing to do with storage, blob or otherwise.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616

<snip> HTTP communication usually takes place over TCP/IP connections. </snip>

Ajith Krishnan

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:21 PM
  • @xoani Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 5:40 AM
  •  Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:42 AM