The icons in My Computer are nearly all corrupted RRS feed

• Question

• The icons have corrupted a few days ago and it's getting rather annoying. I've seen a lot of posts regarding rebuilding iconcache.db but I've tried that and used the cmd to deleted then restart etc. but to no avail.

Some other icons such as .jpg are also corrupted :(

I'm unsure of where to go from here so any help would really be appreciated.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 12:02 AM

Answers

• 1. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View Tab click Show hidden files then search for a file named autorun.inf and delete it.

2. Alternatively, remove two registry keys, but it’s prudent to create a system restore point before making any changes.

Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\drive. In the right pane, right-click ‘drive key’ and delete it.

Then navigate to the following key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe\Drives\drive. In the right pane, right-click ‘drive key’ and delete it.

Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer. NOTE that these two keys are not necessarily present, in which case it's a different issue, possibly malware.

• Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Friday, November 11, 2011 6:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:35 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:37 AM