none
Extra (Bogus) Assignment work entries in reporting DB. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have few Bogus entries in reporting database, found in 'MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay' table that can neither be seen in respective user's timesheet nor in Project.

These entries have work (mostly less then 1hr a day)  and  are repeated for 1 to 4 weeks.

Therefore, such entries make a considerable difference (up-to 16 hrs per-month for some tasks) between work actually done(in project) and work in reporting DB.

We have observed that sometimes these entries are removed on repeatedly publishing the project, Or after respective Resources log time for impacted task.

However, we are still looking for the cause and reliable solutions. 
    All ideas are welcome :)

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 2:59 PM

All replies

• Its not unusual to see orphan records in project server or SharePoint.  There are many processes within Project server and sometimes a chain of events may cause some records to be written or lost or disconnected.  If there are a few, I would not be to concern.   If there are many, then you many want to open a support call ticket with Microsoft and have them analysis your database.

When Microsoft fixes a bug, the CU fixes the software but I don't think it goes back and fixes any data in database.  There may be some cases they do, but or the most I don't think they go through database and fix data structures..  

Microsoft has run sanity checks on my database in the past to resolve some corrupted records. In my case, a client of mine was getting a significant number of orphan records and so we downloaded the database to Microsoft and Microsoft ran the checks.  Then Microsoft provide me with SQL statements to fix my issue.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Can you please provide me SQL statement you received from Microsoft?

It may help!

Thanks,

Akash

Friday, June 2, 2017 5:27 PM