none
Project site template is not creating project sites for existing projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All -

We have Project Server 2013 environment. In my case, project site creation is controlled by workflow (project site is created whenever project moves from Stage 1 to stage 2)and it is not default. Recently I replaced the existing project site template with new one. After this I observed an issue that whenever user tries to move an old project of same EPT, which is still in stage 1(i.e. no project site is associated with it), to stage 2, workflow doesn't create new project site, instead it throws error and terminates workflow.

I conducted following tests to check the issue:

1. No problem is observed and project site is created based on new template when a new project is created using same workflow-EPT combination.

2. If I re-run the workflow for the same old project, it does create the project site based on new template with no issues.

3. I associate old project site template instead of new template with the same EPT and then try moving old project from stage 1 to stage 2, it moves without any issues and also creates project site based on the old template.

Based on these observations I concluded that workflow needs to be restarted for the old projects in order to accommodate new project site template. But I'm not sure if this is valid conclusion. Can anyone  help me in understanding this behavior? 

Mayur Pode

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:26 AM

All replies

• Mayur,

It is difficult to answer without looking at your workflow. Looks like your workflow is reading the template ID for the project site in the intial stages of the workflow (or during project creation). If yes, then your conclusions are correct. Your older projects have started the workflow where the older template ID was read and are still using that template. If you restart the workflow then the workflow reads the new template ID, and creates based on new template.

So, bottom line: You need to restart the workflows for all old projects if you want them to use the new project site template.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:58 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

Thank you for your response. I resolved the issue for old projects by restarting the workflow and it is working perfectly fine. However, now I'm another issue :

If I create a new project using same Workflow-EPT-new project site template combination and when project moves from stage 1 to stage 2, a project site is created but workflow history shows a message which reads as : 'Workflow Name failed to run' and because of this workflow is stuck in stage 1 only. 

This error is not occurring every time but only for the first time in a day when someone tries to create a new project.

Can you help me with this issue?

Mayur Pode

Thursday, April 21, 2016 11:30 AM