none
1709 Upgrade - ms-resource:appdisplayname / orphaned object in start menu - Contact Support application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After upgrading from either 1607 --> 1709 or 1703 --> 1709, there appears to be an issue where an application is stuck in the start menu and becomes orphaned. An icon remains at the bottom of the application list in the start menu with the name ms-resource:appdisplayname.

This issue occurs on the user profile which was logged in/used to completed the upgrade to 1709. 

If a new user profile is then signed in on the system after the upgrade to 1709 is already completed, the ms-resource:appdisplayname orphaned object is not in the start menu.

I have attempted to copy the folder and all contents "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer" from a user profile which does not have the orphaned object, into the profile where the issue is present. After this I have attempted a reboot however the ms-resourceappdisplayname object still appears.

If I browse to the folder shell:appsfolder, I can see the ms-resource:appdisplayname icon. I can then review the properties and see that the application is in fact referring to the old contact support application.

Anytime an upgrade to 1709 is completed, the contact support application is no longer part of windows. Please advise why the object is getting stuck in the start menu and how we can remove the entry.

Unfortunately we cannot create new user profiles for hundreds of users/computers.

Looking forward to a fix for this issue very soon.

Monday, December 18, 2017 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please sign in with affected user account, run the following command in PowerShell as Admin to resolve this issue:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:16 AM
  • Hello and thank you for your suggestion.

I have run the powershell command as admin and then waited several minutes. After that I performed a reboot however the "orphaned" start menu object still remains.

As stated in my initial post, the orphaned object is for the "Contact Support" app, which to my knowledge has been removed from build 1709? I think this is where the problem lies.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:58 PM
  • Hi,

I found that if you right click it, click More ->Share, then it takes you Microsoft Store page.

And then click Pin to start and Launch button, (Or Reinstall button if it's available) and then exit.

Afterwards, go back to start menu, it will disappear normal in the all app list.

Please have a try.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Hi and thanks for the reply.

I've tried your suggestion which takes me to the store. Unfortunately it tells me that "The thing you're looking for isn't here"

This is because it looks as though the "Contact Support" app has been removed/superseded from 1709 however there's no communication or notes on this anywhere from Microsoft.

What else can be done to remove this orphaned object?

Microsoft, are you releasing a patch for this?

Friday, January 12, 2018 1:33 AM
  • If so, please consider to perform an In-Place Upgrade to see if it can fixed.

Monday, January 15, 2018 7:42 AM
  • Hi Karen_Hu,

This is occurring after an in-place upgrade. For every computer we upgrade in our fleet.

Monday, January 15, 2018 9:31 PM
  • Hi Karen_Hu,

This is occurring after an in-place upgrade. For every computer we upgrade in our fleet.

Backup the data and clean install maybe is the next step.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:09 AM
  • This still isn't fixed in the latest Insiders builds.
    Friday, April 20, 2018 2:09 AM
  • hello,

did you try renaming the vedatamodel.edb file?

ren %LOCALAPPDATA%\tiledatalayer\database\vedatamodel.edb vedatamodel.bak

if you receive a access denied error stop the tiledatamodelsvc.

net stop tiledatamodelsvc

reboot afterwards.

Br,

Kristof

Friday, April 20, 2018 6:25 AM
  • I see that 1803 has been released and this bug is still present. No suggested fixes have any effect (except for reinstalling all of the bloatware I previously removed). Nice quality control!
    Friday, May 4, 2018 5:14 PM
  • I see that 1803 has been released and this bug is still present. No suggested fixes have any effect (except for reinstalling all of the bloatware I previously removed). Nice quality control!

Got this bug again after Update 1803 installed!
    Friday, May 4, 2018 5:38 PM
  • I have the same issue after upgrade to 1803.
    Monday, June 4, 2018 7:06 AM
  • In the hierarchy of Windows 10 bugs and annoyances, this one is pretty low. Still, it's quite clear that quality control is not what it used to be ... they are chasing features too strongly, and issues like this don't rise to the top of priority lists, which is sad.

Jim

Saturday, June 9, 2018 9:51 PM
  • This worked for me;
    @echo off
    taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    taskkill /f /im shellexperiencehost.exe
    timeout /t 3 /NOBREAK > nul
    del %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState\* /q
    timeout /t 1 /NOBREAK > nul
    start explorer
    @echo on
    Got it from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/get-rid-of-ms-resourceappdisplayname/aa05469a-a676-4c08-a946-4ee5abf24b2c

Sunday, July 1, 2018 10:42 PM
  • Tried all the suggestions and many others from a Google search ... nothing works. 
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:01 AM
  • Simply  try to delete file

C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState\StartUnifiedTileModelCache.dat

File will be recreated at next user access and the wrong entry will not be present in menù.

Delete it using another user and an elevated dos prompt.

• Proposed as answer by -Sebastian- Wednesday, December 19, 2018 1:35 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2018 11:28 AM
  • I see this in 1607 -> 1803 upgrade using with the SCCM. I use Task Sequence. What would be the best way to automatize this fix? The fix needs to be run in system context before user logging in into 1803 desktop and with user profile interaction. Possible?

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10 and MBAM.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 5:34 AM
  • That's it! There are so many threads and endless discussions or really suboptimal solutions (e.g. create another account) on this bug. You nailed it Sebastiano with you simple and working solution. THANK YOU!

• Edited by Leorik76 Sunday, December 9, 2018 4:33 PM
    Sunday, December 9, 2018 4:32 PM
  • Sebastiano,

this didn't work for me when I made the change from a "Run As Administrator" dos Prompt, then, logged out as that user and logged back in. Actually I didn't try to delete that ".dat" file, I added my initials as the file extension in an effort to hide the file. I did see a new file created but the issue was not resolved.

The odd entry was still at the end of list of programs under "Other > ms-resource:appDisplayName" under the start button. In other words, the "ghost button" shows up at the bottom of the start menu with no icon, just the blue square, under a group/category title of "Other." Sorry I can't provide a screen shot of the affected environment.

Sunday, December 30, 2018 6:04 AM
  • If you use SCCM or another enterprice solution to deploy new build, make sure your old build and new build (or image) has the exactly the same apps there. I'm talking about PowerShell script which removes or keeps desired apps. I remember solving this problem by comparing and maching apps remove script in old and new build.

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10 and MBAM.

Monday, December 31, 2018 6:46 AM
  • I had tried a number of suggested fixes for this but Sebastiano's is the one that finally worked for me. I deleted this file using a elevated command prompt from the affected account (I did not need to create or use a different one) it did not have immediate effect but after logging out and back in I was pleased to find this annoying entry had finally gone. This has work on two machines so worth giving it a try.

Many thanks for an easy fix.

Friday, February 15, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Old thread, but the problem is still there --- and gotten worse.

After updating to 1809 a new orphan entry showed up in the Start Menu.  This one is ms-resource:AppName/Text and it seems to be related to the "Holographic First Run" of the previous release.

Have tried just about every solution found on the web, short of refresh/reinstall, and none of them have worked.

In my case, both entries are seen across multiple accounts.

Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:37 PM
  • This might help:

Right-click on ms-resource:appdisplay, hover over More and select "Don't show on this list".

The "orphaned" Start menu item should then be gone.

Saturday, May 18, 2019 5:31 PM
  • There is NO "Don't show on this list" option available on my Windows 10 Pro laptop.
    After the 1903 Windows update, the same extra Menu entry (related to "Holographic First Run") appeared on only one of my three Thinkpad laptops. Why only on one, when all three were updated the exact same way? That one laptop has multiple USB flash drives connected?
    Tried everything to remove it. Have temporarily given up. New suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:10 PM