locked
Task Sequences Cannot Locate ANY Packages on DP - Need Help! RRS feed

  • Question

  • Good Morning!

    I've had a lot of trouble with SCCM 2012 this week!  I had to rebuild much of it and thought I was back to normal, but am still having a big issue!

    Issue

    When I run an OSD Task Sequence, I the TS cannot find ANY of it's packages!

    History

    Earlier this week, I was asked to fix something on the primary SCCM server.  During installation, the DP automatically choose where to put all of it's packages.  When manually installing DP roles, you can pick primary and secondary - the DP installed initially doesn't let you, though.  Anyways - I was asked to find a way to set the location that the DP would use.

    After much research, I found that seemingly the only way was to uninstall / reinstall the DP role on the primary server so that's what I started to do.  This is where I made a mistake.  Below are the steps I took...

    1. I uninstalled the role before removing the packages from the DP :(.  

    2. I tried manually erasing the filesand redistributing them (4 dps total)  Initial distribution showed all 4 successful, but when verification was run, the DP I had the trouble with failed verification every time.  The other 3 DPs verified just fine.

    3. I decided to bite the bullet and delete, rebuild, & redistribute EVERY package.  This is what I did all day yesterday. 

    4. I removed the packages from each of the 4 DPs, then recreated them as needed.  This included drivers, updates, apps, packages, boot images - everything!  What a pain!!!

    This morning, I checked the distmgr log which I've become familer with and saw that it seemed all was synced.  I verified a few packages and it looked ok.  I then decided to run an OSD TS (which had to be rebuilt also).

    When starting the OSD TS, I enter the hostname i want (MDT script), then select the TS I deployed.  After a couple of seconds, I get "Failed to Run Task Sequence" and am given a package not found.  I thought a couple of packages may have been messed up so rebuilt each one it asked for until it started prompting for the ones I had already rebuilt this morning again!

    I've got to get some things deployed this weekend, so PLEASE HELP with any suggestions you can offer.  Below are specs of my environment as well as some log files.  Thanks!

    Environment

    SCCM 2012 on Windows 2008 R2 VM / SQL 2008 on Separate VM

    OSD TS being run on Hyper-V VMs

    Log Files (Some names edited for security)

    distmgr.log (From Primary SCCM Server)

    smsts.log (From Failed OSD TS)


    Ben K.

    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:09 PM

Answers

  • You need to create boundaries for you DPs. Those boundaries should cover the clients that you want to use those DPs.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:16 PM

All replies

  • You need to create boundaries for you DPs. Those boundaries should cover the clients that you want to use those DPs.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I'm a complete idiot.

    It Worked

    Thanks!!! :)


    Ben K.

    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:20 PM