microsft photos RRS feed

• Question

• my PC has always been set to open images in Microsoft Photos.  This allowed me to edit each picture.  One thing it didn’t do was to change an image from colour to greyscale.  Using the MS help site, I downloaded ‘irfanview’.  This did the job but now every image on my PC opens in the new programme.  Attempting to use the ‘open with’ button only offers Windows Photo Viewer which is not the same. I have since uninstalled Infraview.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:45 PM

Answers

• Windows 10 uses the new Photos app as your default image viewer.

Open  Windows Powershell in your start menu, right-click it and run as admin. Copy and paste in this command and hit enter: -

Get-AppxPackage *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage

Reboot, then when you go into the Windows Store you should be able to re-download it and hopefully that will restore the missing shortcut/tile.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:23 PM

All replies

• So this reads as if you want to set Photos back as the default? Start > Settings > System > Default app. Select Photo viewer on the left and click and choose Photos. Does that do set it back to default?
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 10:22 PM
  • No, Microsoft Photos is in the 'store' and is shown as installed but there appears to be no way to set it as the default.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 10:52 PM
  • So no option in Settings?

Further to that right click start Control Panel, search default top right open Default Programs. Then Set your programs defaults, Scroll down on the left to Photos, is it in list? if so Select this program as defaults. Does that do it?

If not might the thinking a restore to point to when it worked (if not much else has change) or perhaps removing the Photo app and reinstalling.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:07 PM
  • Windows 10 uses the new Photos app as your default image viewer.

Open  Windows Powershell in your start menu, right-click it and run as admin. Copy and paste in this command and hit enter: -

Get-AppxPackage *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage

Reboot, then when you go into the Windows Store you should be able to re-download it and hopefully that will restore the missing shortcut/tile.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:23 PM
  • Thanks very much.  everything now working fine
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:47 AM