WinPE Video Detection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All:

I'm facing an issue I haven't encountered...

I'm dealing with a small collection of HP dx5150 mini-towers, and I'm trying to validate device drivers for a Windows 7 migration. I've got the driver for the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 incorporated into the MDT workbench, and I've updated the deployment point to inject it into the boot media.

When WinPE is going through PNP detection on its way into the wizard, I'm accustomed to the screen flicker and resolution adjustment that occurs when the video driver is loaded. In this case, the screen flickers, but the display never comes back. In fact, the monitor goes immediately into a sleep state (or "no signal").

I'm working with MDT 2010 Update 1, and thus far I've attempted the following to troubleshoot:

• Changing in a different monitor
    • Swapping in known good cables (the issue occurs on both DVI and VGA connections)
    • Using different boot media with the appropriate XP display driver incorporated
    • Updating the BIOS to the latest release and applying defults

Has anyone run into this issue?

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:07 PM

Answers

• Don't add video drivers to the boot image... It will work just fine with the default SVGA driver....

/ Johan

• Proposed as answer by Chris Nackers Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Axelson Monday, June 11, 2012 8:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:18 PM

All replies

• Don't add video drivers to the boot image... It will work just fine with the default SVGA driver....

/ Johan

• Proposed as answer by Chris Nackers Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Axelson Monday, June 11, 2012 8:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Hi Johan:

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't thought to look at the "WinPE x64 Components" tab of the deployment point properties. (I was assuming that the video drivers were injected into the boot media by default.)

When I do look there, it's showing that video drivers are actually *not* being included. For the moment, I'll try including them and regenerating the boot media (just to rule it out as well).

If you have any further suggestions, I'm all eyes. :>D

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:27 PM