HP Storage Management Pack v4.0 for Operations Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've installed HP StoreFront Manager MP for Microsoft 4.0 (HP Storage Management integration with MS System Center) on a Ops Mgr 2012 R2 Server

The diagram view of the two P4500 G2 StoreVirtual Appliances are shown without issue.
    However I cannot get any alerts, error alerts, events, warning events showing in the HP Storage or HP StoreVirtual Storage MP folders

I've  created new alert/event view/criteria "show data related to: HP Storevirtual SNMP trape catcher rule ALL
    But this also shows nothing.

I've followed the HPStorageManagementPackforSystemCenterUserGuide-4.0.pdf to no avail.

Any ideas most appreciated.

Configuration as follows:

Installed HPStorageManagementPackforSystemCenter.exe on the Ops Mgr 2012 R2 Server:

SCOM_MP_V4.0_Microsoft_Windows_Server_2003_2008_W32_2008x64_2008_R2_Win_Server_2012_R2_T4282-10516

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=System_Center

Chose the HP Storage MP install option: OpsMgr Server: requires Management Server deployed on this server

Ticked the "HP StoreVirtual Storage" component

Executed HP Storage Management Pack User Configuration Tool.exe
    Added the IP of Ops Mgr 2012 R2 management Server
    Added the 2 IPs of the HP StoreVirtual Storage appliances
    Configured SNMP community string as 'public' for each appliance
    It shows two the discovered 2 storage systems

In Ops Manager 2012 R2
    Authoring / object discoveries, enabled the following rules, saved to a new MP:
    HP StoreVirtual Cache Discovery Rule
    HP StoreVirtual Drive Discovery Rule
    HP StoreVirtual Network Device Discovery Rule
    HP StoreVirtual Power Supply Discovery Rule
    HP StoreVirtual Discovery Rule
    HP StoreVirtual System FAN Discovery Rule
    HP StoreVirtual SNMP Trap Capture Rule

In the Ops Mgr 2012 R2 Console, the HP StoreVirtual Storage MP Digram View shows the cluster, two p4500 appliances with cache, drives, fans, network devices and power supplies all green

SNMP on Ops Mgr 2012 R2 Server
    Trap community name public
    Trap destinations
    localhost
    IP of Ops Mgr 2012 R2 server
    Security, send auth trap public community
    Accept SNMP packets from IP hosting the Hp Storevirtual Centralized Management Console

SNMP and SNMP trap services started
    HP Storage MP server service started

On the CMC Server SNMP windows service config is:
    Community name public
    Trap destination IP of Ops Mgr 2012 R2 Server
    Security, send auth trap public community
    Accept SNMP packets from any host

SNMP CMC settings for SAN Management Group

SNMP general settings, Access control (IPs of Ops Mgr 2012 Server and CMC server)

Trap recipient (IP of Ops Mgr 2012 R2 Server, SNMP v1)

• Edited by DoJu Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you check windows event and see what error message appears?

I highly recommend you follow the HP Storage Management Pack for System Center User Guide.

<cite>http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03112503-1.pdf</cite>

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Thanks for the link, but its the 2011 version 2.0 of the HP storage MP

I'll try another route: uninstall the HP storage MP software on the Ops Mgr 2012 R2 server and install on a "collection point server", where an Ops Mgr agent is deployed and where SNMP traps are received as there could be a conflict with SNMP on the Ops Mgr Server given Ops Mgr has it's own SNMP capabilities and disables SNMP

Steve

Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:58 PM
  • On page 123 of the HP Storage MP user guide:

Known Behavior
    Unable to collect SNMP traps from HP Storage Management Pack for System Center. Microsoft has implemented a workaround from OpsMgr to move the SNMP trap collection server to a separate Management server which is not a part of Network Resource Pool/Discovery Server. This will allow the SNMP Trap service to listen on port 162 and collect traps.

Friday, July 11, 2014 11:07 PM
  • I'm also having issues getting this management pack to work.. 

followed the docs on the opsmgr server no luck, setup a collection server (empty server with snmp enabled and the opsmgr agent on it) and have no idea how to tell opsmgr to use that to collect the snmp traps for the hp management pack.

all in all, it certainly looks good, but implementation is quite poor. 

Friday, July 25, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

@ecmanfra : I hope, you tried to enable 'HP StoreVirtual SNMP Trap Catcher Rule' discovery rule for that empty collection server to tell opsmgr that it will receive the traps.

We are facing similar issue with MP verison 3.0 in monitoring HP Storevirtual storage boxes.

It works fine for few boxes. I observed that warning events(with id 103) gets triggered in Operations Manager log of collection server for the SNMP traps it receives from Storage boxes and 'HP StoreVirtual Warning Rule' targetted to 'HP StoreVirtual SNMP Trap Catcher Rule' triggers alert for this event.

For few other boxes, when we send test traps, they are received at the collection server, but no events in Operations Manager log of the server. Reinstalling the management pack software by selecting 'Collection point server' will resolve this?

Regards

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:22 PM