none
RDS- how to redirect a specific user to specific session host server

Question

• Hellow Techies,

In my environment, I've servers

RDW01 & RDW02 for Gateway, License, RDWeb.

RDB01   for Broker

RDS01, RDS02......RDS10 for session host server. 

I've 400 users going to connect through RDweb or RD Gateway.

FYI   I'm not presenting any app, just Remote desktop with collection by name "RDP" of 10 session host server.   All 400 users will share all these 10 session host servers. Everything looks good so far. 

Challenge here for me is 10 users should always connect 10 different host servers. for example, user1 should connect to RDS01.

I appreciate if anyone gives me a solution.

• Edited by Shekar7976 Monday, June 04, 2018 11:11 PM spell error
    Monday, June 04, 2018 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can create session collections, each collection has its own RD SH, and within collection properties, you can specify specific user group the connection permission. Then, you can assign specific user group the access permission to specific RD SH. 

Or, you can consider of RDS Farm, it improves the availability and scale of your RDS deployment via multi RD SHs.

Create a RDSH FARM RDS 2012 using DNS Round Robin:
    https://ryanmangansitblog.com/2013/03/30/create-a-rdsh-farm-rds-2012-using-dns-round-robin/

Deploying a 2012 / 2012R2 Remote Desktop Services (RDS) farm:
    https://thewolfblog.com/2014/02/08/deploying-a-2012-2012r2-remote-desktop-services-farm/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 3:40 AM
  • In my case

I need only 10 users to go to 10 different session host servers.

I need the rest 390 users to go through load balance share between the same 10 session host servers.

Option 1: By creating multiple collections

I need to create 10 collections and each collection has just one server and user group will have

user1 and remaining users(group with out 10 specific users0,

collection 2 has user2 and remaining users.

If I do this when a common user access through RDWeb access user will see 10 Remote desktop icons which is not helpful.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Option 2: When a user RDP directly to Round Robin DNS it won't achieve my challenge because user will be routed to one of the ten session host servers

• Edited by Shekar7976 Tuesday, June 05, 2018 5:36 PM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2018 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, only using RDWeb may not meet your requirement. 

For the 10 users which you want to direct them to specific RD SH, using command line “mstsc” with “/v:<Server[:]” paramanter to specify the server would be recommended as a workaround.

Mstsc:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mstsc

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:33 AM
  • Thank you for sharing your ideas.

Here is the thing if I create 10 collections then for a common user from 390 users will have 10 icons on his rd web page.

command line “mstsc” with “/v:<Server[:]    even I used this method it is just redirecting me to any of the 10 RD SH servers.

I cannot give them mstsc /admin as they are remote, they'll download the RDP connection from RD web.

Port no used is 443 go through Gateway

Any other way to make it work

Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:49 PM