Windows 7, after Sysprep get an error "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" RRS feed

• Question

• Keywords for search (Dell, Latitude, E6520, E6420, Sysprep, Windows, 7, the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable, intel video driver)

I originally posted here for help, but I think I may have fixed my own issue. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-after-sysprep-get-an-error-the-file-or/0d42309d-c392-422c-a816-5f382bb5f05f?tm=1320769850544&page=1

I was having issues when I sysprepped a machine it would make the partition unreadable, and I would get a message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

It happened twice and I was unable to find a pattern.  Then I came across another thread that mentioned problems with Sysprep and it not finishing, and it ended up being a driver issue.

That reminded me that in the past we have consistently had issues with the Intel Video Card driver.

I modified my unattend.xml file and set PersistentAllDeviceInstalls setting to true in the Microsoft-Windows-PnPSysprep component.

I ran sysprep again, rebooted into Windows PE and saw the partition was accessible so I started the image.

I just wanted to post my finding here in case someone else runs into the same issue, and this might save them alot of time.  I didn't find anything in my google search.

• Edited by Jkfweb Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:39 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, November 18, 2011 9:55 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:35 AM