Going from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - registry & DLL? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two computers, both running Windows 7:  Windows7 Professional on a 64 bit, and Windows7 Home premium on a 32 bit laptop.  Both computers have had fairly regular maintenance, but are extremely bloated with services, excess registry entries, and DLLs from programs that have been moved.  My question is whether the update / upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 will actually wipe the old operating system and it's files (e.g., registry, etc.) and install the new OS with it's own (new) registry, or if it grabs the old and merely add-to.
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 6:22 PM

Answers

• "My question is whether the update / upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 will actually wipe the oldoperating system and it's files (e.g., registry, etc.) and install the new OS with it's own (new) registry"

For the question, the answer is No.

Please see that the upgrade will check the integrality of your current system, replace the older version of files and registry keys, some corrupted system files and keys will some time block the upgrade process, please try the media creation tool to perform the upgrade install.

If it still fail, repair your Windows 7 first with installation media or recovery disc from OEM and then try to upgrade again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, October 24, 2015 2:26 PM
  • The short answer is upgrades do NOT wipe the OS.  They will add entries (as needed), change entries (as needed) and delete unused entries.  It will not give you a fresh start so if you have bloat now from an install - or removal you will still have it then.  If you are at all concerned after you a\have upgraded to register your OS, I would (and do) clean install

You can confirm what I say after you upgrade by checking the dates on key files before and after the upgrade.

Unfortunately you do have to upgrade first to qualify for the free upgrade.  I would, as suggested, use the ISO

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, October 24, 2015 3:10 PM

All replies

• My suggestion would be : 

1. Upgrade to Windows 10. 

2. Let Windows 10 Activate. 

3. Once its activated, you can format and install Windows 10 again

4. In this case your system will be activated automatically. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:43 PM

• "My question is whether the update / upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 will actually wipe the oldoperating system and it's files (e.g., registry, etc.) and install the new OS with it's own (new) registry"

For the question, the answer is No.

Please see that the upgrade will check the integrality of your current system, replace the older version of files and registry keys, some corrupted system files and keys will some time block the upgrade process, please try the media creation tool to perform the upgrade install.

If it still fail, repair your Windows 7 first with installation media or recovery disc from OEM and then try to upgrade again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, October 24, 2015 2:26 PM
  • The short answer is upgrades do NOT wipe the OS.  They will add entries (as needed), change entries (as needed) and delete unused entries.  It will not give you a fresh start so if you have bloat now from an install - or removal you will still have it then.  If you are at all concerned after you a\have upgraded to register your OS, I would (and do) clean install

You can confirm what I say after you upgrade by checking the dates on key files before and after the upgrade.

Unfortunately you do have to upgrade first to qualify for the free upgrade.  I would, as suggested, use the ISO

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, October 24, 2015 3:10 PM