Difference in Ram Usage between Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 PRO RRS feed

• Question

• Before getting any Version of windows I would Like to know how much is the ram difference with a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 VS Windows 8.1 PRO, Since I doubt I would use some services/applications of Windows 8.1 and if I disable some services would reduce the ram usage up to Windows 8.1 levels? Thanks
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:15 PM

Answers

• The difference in RAM usage is neglectible. In Windows 8/8.1 there are quite a few services (40-50) that only run when they are needed with the new mode "trigger start". That reduces the number of processes running and reduces the amount of RAM that is available to applications.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

• Marked as answer by kelvin_hsu Monday, March 3, 2014 2:17 PM
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:10 AM

All replies

• The difference in RAM usage is neglectible. In Windows 8/8.1 there are quite a few services (40-50) that only run when they are needed with the new mode "trigger start". That reduces the number of processes running and reduces the amount of RAM that is available to applications.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

• Marked as answer by kelvin_hsu Monday, March 3, 2014 2:17 PM
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Trust me, you're going to want to reconfigure a lot of Windows 8.1's features.  It kind of stinks as configured right out of the box.  One good tool to do that with is the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), and you only get that with Pro.

I'd also suggest getting the 64 bit version if your hardware can run it.  It's the way of the future.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:20 PM