Completely remove profile RRS feed

• Question

• Win 10, office 2016 pro. Exchange 2016

Local Outlook setup.

Need to completely remove Outlook profile from a computer login. Changing email accounts but want to keep the same computer login.

Can't get past the password entry when opening outlook with the new email account after account setup. Account profile created successfully.

Deleting and recreating the workstation login works but want to avoid the extra work.

How do I Completely remove any outlook profile files from appdata or anywhere else associated with the computer login to give outlook a clean slate?

Already did a disk cleanup.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:34 PM

Answers

• Found the issue for this instance. 

Someone put in the user login name (pre-windows 2000) wrong in their AD account.  This differed from their actual exchange login account. 

Changing this fixed the problem.

• Marked as answer by Susan_773 Monday, April 27, 2020 8:55 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2020 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Does the "computer login" you mentioned mean the windows user account(windows profile)?
    What exactly do you mean by "Account profile" and "workstation login"?

>> Can't get past the password entry when opening outlook with the new email account after account setup.
    If you are trying to add another email account to your Outlook client, it is suggested to try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if it works.

If this is not your case, to better understand your issue, please provide me with screenshots of your problem so that I can do further research.(Notice: Please hide your personal information when taking screenshots)

>> How do I Completely remove any outlook profile files from App Data or anywhere else associated with the computer login to give outlook a clean slate?
    According to my research, there are several ways to remove your Outlook profile. For example, you could directly remove the profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile > Remove.

Also, there is also another way to delete Outlook Profile via registry key,  please follow the steps below:

1. Exit your Outlook desktop client
    2. Open Registry Editor
    3. Navigate to the folder: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles
    4. Right-click the profile you want to remove and choose Delete like below

(Note: Serious problems can occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before making changes, back up the registry to restore it in case something goes wrong.)

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I mean computer login is when you power the computer on and then type your password to login and get to the desktop.

I had removed the outlook profile from control panel prior to creating the new profile.

For the regedit option, is it removing the same entry as in control panel or does removing it there affect more than just removing it from control panel?

Thursday, April 2, 2020 2:36 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

As I know, deleting profiles from the registry does the same effect as deleting profiles from the control panel. If you successfully remove the Outlook Profile from the control panel, it will also disappear in the registry.

>> Can't get past the password entry when opening outlook with the new email account after account setup. Account profile created successfully. Deleting and recreating the workstation login works but want to avoid the extra work.

Do you mean that you will get a password pop-up the first time you open Outlook client after configuring the new email account and cannot continue? If so, please provide me with more information related to your issue for further research:

1. Is there any error prompt after entering the correct password?
    2. What will happen if you cancel the password entry?
    3. Screenshots of your issue will be of great help. If possible, you could add your screenshots to your reply or upload the picture to OneDrive and copy the picture link to reply to me. (Notice: Please hide your personal information in the screenshot for security.)

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 3, 2020 9:50 AM
  • No error during the password prompt. It just reappears and cannot continue to Outlook.

If the password entry is canceled, the error saying Outlook couldn't connect to exchange and closes Outlook.

The appdata folder contents were moved to a temporary folder and a new Outlook profile was created. The files weren't deleted entirely in case their deletion corrupted the login profile.

I also did a disk cleanup when there was no profile and did a reboot.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 1:23 AM
  • Hi Susan,

Thanks for your reply.

>> No error during the password prompt. It just reappears and cannot continue to Outlook.
    As I know, problems with the password cache may also cause issues like this. Please check the following steps to clear out the Outlook related credentials and see if it works:

1. Open Control Panel > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials
    2. Locate the set of credentials that has your email account in the name > Expand and click Delete
    3. Restart Outlook Client and re-enter the password.

If the issue still continues, please try referring to the other workarounds in this article Why does Outlook keep prompting for password.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 9:41 AM
  • Hi ,

How is everything going?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, April 10, 2020 8:58 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

Any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:10 AM
  • Hi Susan,

Thanks for your reply.

>> No error during the password prompt. It just reappears and cannot continue to Outlook.
    As I know, problems with the password cache may also cause issues like this. Please check the following steps to clear out the Outlook related credentials and see if it works:

1. Open Control Panel > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials
    2. Locate the set of credentials that has your email account in the name > Expand and click Delete
    3. Restart Outlook Client and re-enter the password.

If the issue still continues, please try referring to the other workarounds in this article Why does Outlook keep prompting for password.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Sorry for the late reply. 

That did not fix the problem.

Monday, April 27, 2020 7:39 PM
  • Found the issue for this instance. 

Someone put in the user login name (pre-windows 2000) wrong in their AD account.  This differed from their actual exchange login account. 

Changing this fixed the problem.

• Marked as answer by Susan_773 Monday, April 27, 2020 8:55 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2020 8:55 PM