none
Tracking Fixed Contracts on Construction Schedule RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a project that includes demolition of an office space and a very basic renovation.  There are only 8 subcontractors working on this project and a limited number of overall tasks (~75 including summaries, milestones, etc.).  I have created resources for each subcontractor and assigned them to their respective tasks throughout the project.  I am interested in also assigning the value of each subcontractors contract to that resource, and tracking what percentage of work is completed and relating that to the amount of money their contract calls for.

What is a good way to get started in learning more about this?

I am using MS Project Professional 2013

Friday, April 1, 2016 8:06 PM

All replies

• The basic objective is to get costs attached to tasks.

That is usually done by assigning a resource, which is either a work type resource, material type resource, or cost type resource.

Costs can also be assigned directly to the task (ie not via the resources) as fixed costs in the cost table.

With subcontractors, you need to decide whether you will break the subbies down into individual people, or just have the one resource per subbie.

If you break them down to individual people you will be able to give each person a std rate, track their hours etc.

However, some difficulties with this approach are that you may not know who the people are, and the subbie may not report their actual hours anyway, and the subbie may also have given you a price (a cost to you) which is not broken down by your tasks, and the price may also include materials supplied.

Personally, I am in favour of breaking it down to the subbie's people, rates, materials etc.

But if you don't want to track work hours, one quick way is to have one resource for each subbie, make it a material type resource, and the std rate is the total cost for that subbie's tasks. Then assign that resource to various tasks at various units.

Another quick way is to make the subbie a cost type resource, and then assign at various units of $.

Any help so far?

Saturday, April 2, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  Yes, this is helpful.  But I still think a bit above my abilities.

If I were to make each sub a cost type resource, can I give the resource a total $ amount and have it track throughout all of their assignments evenly?  Or do I then need to give each of the subcontractors tasks an individual $ amount?

I attempted setting each resource as a material type resource, but this will show each task as having that amount.  I would like to see what percentage each task is of the overall amount. 

Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:51 AM
  • A particular sub has 10 tasks. He has given you a price (to him it's a price, to you it's a cost) of $1000 for all of his tasks. He has not given you a breakdown of how the price is distributed across the 10 tasks. He may not even be aware that you have broken his overall contract into 10 tasks.

How do you assign resources? I use the assign resources dialog which pops up when you select a task and hit the resource, assign resources button.

In my previous reply I said assign the cost type resource at various units. That was a mistake. With cost type resources you can t assign units. Instead, you assign cost.

Make a cost type resource in the resource sheet.

In the Gantt chart, select a task and assign $100 to it in the dialog, and same for the other 9 tasks for that sub.

Any help?
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:26 PM