Loading gmail profile into Outlook for the first time RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new computer and downloaded newest version of office 365.  We use Google (Gmail) to house our company email using IMAP.  The newest version of Office (outlook) asked questions differently this time when setting up my email but it finally downloaded my current inbox and stayed in the "syncing folders" mode for a while.  This is what has always happened when downloading all of my emails for the past 6 years.  But this time it only makes it about 8 minutes into the process and freezes.  I have to stop the program and restart it and it will download any new emails I may have received and then sync to about the same spot and freeze up again.  I have left the computer alone for over 2 hours to let it sync but it is always frozen when I make come back.  The computer is not logging off or going into stand by mode, it is staying on the entire time.  I finally added my hotmail account as my main account and erased my work email.  After hotmail finished downloading all my saved emails I added new account and tried my work email process again, and  it freezes again.  It will not finish syncing with my online google/gmail account.

I should also add that my business partner received new computer and her emails are timing out as well and freezing up while syncing to outlook.  They are both Dell computers but NOT same model or series...so it has to do with settings or the programming.

Any suggestions?

• Edited by Bill GLC Sunday, January 14, 2018 7:22 PM
    Sunday, January 14, 2018 7:20 PM

All replies

• I should also add that my business partner received new computer and her emails are timing out as well and freezing up while syncing to outlook.  They are both Dell computers but NOT same model or series...

Hi Bill,

Does this issue only affect you and your business partner while all the others colleagues can add the gmail account smoothly to Outlook client?
    What's the detailed build number of your Outlook and Windows system? Does your business partner running the same version of Office and Windows as yours?
    How did you configure the gmail account, using the automatically configuration wizard or manually adding the account?

Please try the following steps and see if the issue can be stopped:

1. Add gmail account via Control Panel > Mail > New.
    2. After the email account is set up, double click the account, click More Settings..., select the Advanced tab, type"Inbox" in the box of Root folder path:

Hope this can be helpful. 

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 15, 2018 4:12 AM