none
External hard drive only works on new computer not the older one RRS feed

• Question

• G'day,

I have a 1 TB external Hard Drive.  It is recognized by my new computer but not by the 8 year old one.  I use Windows 7 and it is updated on a daily basis.  Please could somebody tell me what I need to do to get the older computer to recognize the E H Drive please.  The hard drive is a WD and is almost new.

Cheers Perry

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'd like to know what is your issue.

Is the WD hard disk not recognized by the old PC as a drive/device?

Or it is recognized, and you want to make it as "E" or "H" drive?

best regards, 

• Edited by Ashidacchi Friday, May 29, 2015 9:17 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2015 7:46 PM
  • The hard drive is recognized by your new computer. Is your new computer also Windows 7 and updated on a daily basis?

When you purchased the hard drive was it already formatted for a file system of some type? If not did you format it on the new computer to some file system format which the old computer may not recognize?

You possibly need to check with the old computers motherboard manufacturer to see if that motherboard supports HD's of that size which I would think it should.

It's also possible the Win 7 old PC does not have drivers on it that the new PC does for whatever OS the new PC is. Does the old PC even detect the drive when the drive is plugged into a USB port? No failure notification occurs regarding the drive when it is plugged into a USB port on the old PC?

Maybe on the old PC there are no USB ports of a type compatible with the hard drive. See "Version history" at the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB. Does the hard drive require USB 3.0 maybe and the old PC only has USB 1.0 or USB 2.0?

La vida loca

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Aussie Perry --

You have erroneously posted this question in a user forum dedicated to questions about Project Server, an enterprise project management application.  I would recommend that you repost it in a user forum that deals with Windows questions.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, May 29, 2015 9:14 PM
  • G'day Dale,

I have posted my question on Windows Support.

Thank you Dale,

Cheers Perry

Saturday, May 30, 2015 12:54 AM
  • G'day Mr Monkeyboy,

Yes both computers are constantly updated

My other 2 Tb Hard drive is recognized on both computers no problem

I took the drive into town and asked the computer tech if he would check it out.  He checked it on a new lap top and two towers and it was recognized O K. He had no idea why it would not work on my older computer.

On the drive it said USB 3.0 COMPATIBLE WITH USB2.0

Cheers Perry

Saturday, May 30, 2015 1:07 AM