none
Setting up Branch Office RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have been drafted to help design a branch location for one of our clients. They currently have one main office but are moving one of their departments to a location a block away. This department will have roughly 20-25 users.

I'm not sure where to start as far as hardware we will need or what method we will incorporate to connect to the main office. Possibly use site-to-site vpn?

Right now the main office has 2 physical servers and 2 Hyper-V virtual machines. One of the VM's is an Exchange 2010 server.

We already have a VPN setup for people to connect office to access shared resources and use Outlook.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:38 PM

All replies

• If you have the capability and internet speeds, a VPN between the offices is great for accessing resources.  A site to site through network hardware is usually the best for this.  Authentication can occur to the DC through the VPN as well.  For exchange, setup public DNS settings and have the users use the public DNS to connect Outlook.  

What type of resources are the users connecting to? Is there a set program they will need access to?  File Server?  You would need to keep in consideration what they are accessing and plan out from there.  You may or may not need a dedicated server in the remote office depending on what they are doing. We have many clients that have remote offices with the servers back in the main office working through a site to site VPN.  It is a great solution for this.   

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:43 PM
  • We don't have a file share, just a shared folder that is mapped to all the users. We do have Sharepoint 2013 and Project Pro 2013 setup and installed but still need a way to move those shared files to Sharepoint.

We have looked into Outlook anywhere which can connect to exchange without the use of VPN.

Can you explain a little more on how a site-to-site vpn works or is setup if there is no server at the branch office? 

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

The site to site VPN is not built with Microsoft technology, it would be between the two Network gateways.  We use SonicWALL's.  This way, everything on the LAN is available through the VPN.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Which SonicaWall do you use? Will I need one for each location or will it work with the existing Router at the main office? I believe its a Cisco ASA?
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:24 PM
  • We use multiple versions of the SonicWALL.  If you have Cisco at one end, you may just want to purchase another Cisco ASA at the other end to keep it consistent and the setup easy.  There are multiple documents online for setting up a site to site VPN through ASA's. 
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:29 PM