SCCM 2012 SP1 - Latest Windows Patches break Package Installation in OSD? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

i just finished implementing a fresh SCCM 2012 SP1 Installation for a customer. The whole OSD worked like a charm with a captured, unpatched Win7 Enterprise SP1 x86 Image. The Standard install Task Sequence contains the Installation of a few Packages (Office2010, K-Lite Codec Pack and HP Quicklaunch Buttons). The packages are working fine and the Software is getting installed during OSD.
    Now we updated our base Image including the latest critical and important Win7 updates from last week and changed the base Image in out Task sequence to the updated one.
    Now the package Installation in OSD is not working anymore. If i check the logs, the Installation is not starting and the logs online repeats the message "Waiting for Job Status notification" and it never Ends :). I know that this normally means that the application is waiting for some user Input, but i doublechecked the Installation Routine and it is definitely working fine.
    If i go back to the old not updated Image, it is working fine, so i guess it has to be one of the latest critical/important updates (we only install critical and important updates so i can exclude the other ones). It could also be an older update, but i don't think so, as otherwise i should have found something related to this issue online.

I'm right now capturing a new Image including all updates except the ones released in february 2013. (http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/security/bulletin/ms13-feb) If this is working fine, it's definitely one of These updates.

Does anyone have a working Task sequence (with packages getting installed) including the latest patches from february 2013, or anyone able to test it?

Thanks a lot

Stefan

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi, Little update:

Even after i removed the latest updates the package Installation in the Task Sequence is still stopping with the message "Waiting for Job Status Notification" and never continues. I have another Suggestion what the Problem could be. For better understanding here is how i prepared my master Image.

1. Run a capture TS and capture my first master Image without installing any updates (as source for the OS i choose the original DVD files)
    2. I rerun a capture TS this time with updates enabled (as source for the OS i choose the Image that i captured in step 1).

-> Is this "double capture" maybe a Problem? If i capture an Image, should i ALWAYS do that using the original DVD files as source?

Is there anyone doing the same? Capture "Image1", Capture Image2 based on Image1, capture Image3 based on Image2 etc?

Or are you guys always referencing to the original DVD source files? (Windows Installer)

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Second Update:

No matter if i capture my base Image "double" or just capture it only one time from the Windows Installer Media, as soon as i integrate Windows Updates, this Image will not install any Software anymore during a TaskSequence process.

Is anyone able to test this in his (test)Environment? I know it was working fine with SCCM 2012 (without SP1) for me.

Monday, February 18, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Hey there. Were yo able to figure out your issue? I'm having some odd issues with SCCM 2012 SP1 CU1 trying to do a Build and Capture with Windows 8 (x86 or x64). A normal build and capture works fine, but when I add in software updates it appears to be crashing during the OSD sequence. I decided to do the offline WIM file update and applied patches successfully. However, when I deploy that WIM I get a blank Modern UI screen upon logon. All it says is START on the left and the user name on the right. My x64 image is just as broken and it was able to install patches during a build and capture sequence. I'm just wondering if there is some update out there that is killing this images.

If you have any other information, I'd love to hear about it!

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:43 PM