none
Windows 10 Enterprise E3 Not Installing

Question

• Hi,

We've purchased Win 10 Ent E3 licenses via a CSP. Azure AD Connect is installed on a member server, sync is successful, and our users appear in the Admin Center. We have several new computers with Win 10 Pro OEM installed. The computers have been joined to our domain, a domain user account has been added and Windows has been upgraded to build 1607. I've tried logging into microsoftonline.com via IE and Edge, and connecting via Settings > Accounts > Access work or school. Both work, I can see the user's information and that a Windows 10 Ent E3 license has been assigned. Everything seems to be working, but the computer does not upgrade to Enterprise. I'm out of ideas and almost out of hair. Please help!

• Edited by Larry Goodbar Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:56 PM correction
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hello

Are the accounts synced?

See the following link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/windows-10-enterprise-e3-overview

Preparing for deployment of Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses

You probably have on-premises Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) domains. Users will use their domain-based credentials to sign in to the AD DS domain. Before you start deploying Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses to users, you need to synchronize the identities in the on-premises AD DS domain with Azure AD.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Larry Goodbar Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:18 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Disconnecting from our AD, joining the Azure AD, disconnecting from the Azure AD and then rejoining our AD was our solution. We performed it on all of the domain joined laptops and distributed them. All new computers are now joined to Azure AD on the initial setup, then disconnected and joined to our AD when assigned to an employee. Tip of the hat to Jared Olson of Ontech Systems, who provided this solution. A big thank you to Teemo and Darrell for your help. I gave the answer credit to Darrell, since his response was the closest to our final solution.

• Marked as answer by Larry Goodbar Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:14 PM
    • Edited by Larry Goodbar Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Larry Goodbar Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:14 PM

All replies

• Just read Kate Li's post. "Join this device to Azure Active Directory" does not appear on the "Setup a work or school account" wizard.
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Hi Larry,

I think you need to use official Pro system to upgrade rather than OEM Pro edition.

Download official iso image file from Microsoft website and use it to upgrade system, after this, re-join computer to Azure Active Directory again.

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Windows 10 Enterprise E3 in CSP Overview

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/windows-10-enterprise-e3-overview?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Good luck

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Thanks, Teemo. I will give it a try and post back.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:15 PM
  • OK, I am looking forward to your good news.

You are welcome, I am happy to assist you with computer issue

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Reinstalling Windows did not resolve the issue. We had to:

1. Disjoin the computers from our AD domain,
    2. Login as a local admin,
    3. Join Azure AD using the links that now appear in Settings > Access Work or School Accounts > Connect,
    4. Restart the computer logging in with the user's Azure account,
    5. Verify the Windows version,
    6. Disjoin Azure,
    7. Restart the computer logging in as local admin,
    8. Rejoin our AD domain,
    9. Restart the computer logging in with the user's AD account, and
    10. Finally verify the Windows version.

Not a very efficient way to upgrade to Windows Enterprise. Thanks to Jared Olson for helping us figure this out!

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:49 PM
  • Hello

Are the accounts synced?

See the following link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/windows-10-enterprise-e3-overview

Preparing for deployment of Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses

You probably have on-premises Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) domains. Users will use their domain-based credentials to sign in to the AD DS domain. Before you start deploying Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses to users, you need to synchronize the identities in the on-premises AD DS domain with Azure AD.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 13, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Yes, the accounts are synced. I tested by adding a new account, then deleting it after it synced. SSO is also working.
    Monday, March 13, 2017 5:45 PM
  • Hello,

A support ticket should be opened then, that should work.

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:49 PM
  • Disconnecting from our AD, joining the Azure AD, disconnecting from the Azure AD and then rejoining our AD was our solution. We performed it on all of the domain joined laptops and distributed them. All new computers are now joined to Azure AD on the initial setup, then disconnected and joined to our AD when assigned to an employee. Tip of the hat to Jared Olson of Ontech Systems, who provided this solution. A big thank you to Teemo and Darrell for your help. I gave the answer credit to Darrell, since his response was the closest to our final solution.

• Marked as answer by Larry Goodbar Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:14 PM
    • Edited by Larry Goodbar Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Larry Goodbar Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:14 PM