none
Failed DPM 2012 R2 backup and increasing the USN Journal on a 2012 R2 server. RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

Before looking into increasing the journal size, is it possible for you to increase the synchronization frequency on the protection group were the server is located?

By doing this you will decrease the amount of time it will take to complete your job and spread out the performance impact over the day.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Saturday, July 18, 2015 4:02 PM
  • Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reply! I did give that a shot, as the previous article discussed that. But perhaps I still haven't done it often enough?

It was syncing every 24 hours now it is set to 12 hours, but it still fails to backup...

Monday, July 20, 2015 3:04 AM
  • Hi,

12 hours sync might not be enough if there is a lot of file-changes on the server. 

If possible, try creating a manual recovery point and afterwards set the synchronization to every 1 hour.
    If this would solve your problem you could try to increase the synchronization frequency if 1 hour is to often.

Kind Regards
    Markus

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Because I have about 25 servers in that protection group I'm hesitant to increase the sync to 1 hour because of the potential excess traffic on the network? Would that be an issue? All the other servers are fine, it's just the configuration manager server which is about 1.2TB in size. I would imagine the files would change often due to the sccm clients reporting back various info. I'm also reluctant to change the settings that effect all servers, when only 1 is really the issue. Thanks so far!
    Monday, July 20, 2015 9:31 AM